Re: E-M:/ Threats to Public broadcasting and environmental news coverage

EMers,

We must fight for PBS. . .even though, having worked in it myself (on FRESH AIR with Terry Gross), I know how conservative it was BEFORE this recent right wing onslaught. FRESH AIR is, of course, one of the last radical holdouts. . .

There is an excellent article out today
(see: http://www.commondreams.org/views05/0521-20.htm
that reports on an historic speech by Bill Moyers about PBS last Sunday,
lambasting CPB Chairman Kenneth Tomlinson’s crusade against “liberal advocacy” journalism at PBS. It reports that Rush Limbaugh has now gone after Moyers with a vengeance, calling him insane. That what mobbers do to truthsayers, journalists and whistleblowers when they do not have the facts.

Citizens have begun a petition calling for Tomlinson’s resignation (add your name here) and supporting the creation of nationwide town hall meetings on the future of public broadcasting.

Geez, in East Lansing WKAR echoes the right wing trend. . .we cannot show Steve Maeder's excellent "The Long Shadow" (about DOW Chemical's dioxin scandal) even though professors all around Michigan are exhibiting it in their classrooms. Perhaps we need to start a petition for Steve.

And while we're at it, let's see if we can get more citizen representation on our local PBS TV and radio stations. . .the professional journalists are way too supplicant. . .with few exceptions.

Brian McKenna