Re: E-M:/ Chapela gets tenure!

Enviro-Mich message from Claire O'Leary <claireoleary@comcast.net>

How did you figure that judgment, Alex?

Genetic engineering is most definitely an environmental issue as these self-replicating novel organisms are released into landscapes and effect ecosystems. No environmental impact studies are required. The consequences are not being tracked for the most part. Scientific protocol is sadly lacking. Scientists have warned about several possible and actual unintended consequences. Ignacio Chapela is one of them. He reported on the contamination of Mexican maize landraces due to underpriced US corn being imported (thanks to NAFTA) despite a Mexican ban on the planting of GMO corn. Unaware indigenous farmers planted the cheap GMO corn and inadvertently contaminated this precious food heritage. Chapela's career and reputation was nearly destroyed because he was honest enough to publish his research.

What do others think?

Claire O'Leary
Sierra Club Genetic Engineering Committee