Re: E-M:/ Chapela gets tenure!

Enviro-Mich message from skyprice@iserv.net

I think that Alex would say (as he has said to me before about postings
I've made on genetic modification) that it's not specifically
Michigan-oriented (as opposed to the subject matter). However, I would
very much disagree, since 1) virtually everyone in Michigan eats; and 2)
Michigan State is a strong player in this debate (not casting aspersions
since I don't know enough about it -- just saying that they certainly play
a large role). Just as decisions in Washington which affect Michigan's air
quality, even though not state-specific, are valid, therefore decisions
which affect our food supply, even though not state-specific, should be
valid. As you know, Claire, I consider this to be THE issue facing anyone
who cares about ecology or the future of our species. When we run out of
fossil fuel, we can adapt; if we run out of seeds (and that IS the issue),
we have no alternatives.

So I'd like to THANK YOU VERY MUCH for this posting. If the consensus of
later debate is that it's off-topic I hope that we can find a way to
communicate on these crushingly urgent matters outside of Enviro-Mich.

Cynthia Price
Greater Grand Rapids Food Systems Council