Re: E-M:/ Trash-O-Meter

At 06:41 PM 05/23/2005, you wrote:
And then there are those of us who think the trash-o-meter is an embarrassing piece of demagoguery, trying to pass off attempts at interfering with private trade as legitimate environmental protection efforts.

Michael J. Csapo
General Manager
Resource Recovery and Recycling Authority of Southwest Oakland County
20000 W. Eight Mile Rd.
Southfield, MI 48075

Gee, Mike, your opinion on this wouldn't have anything at all to do with the fact that your organization has a close working relationship with Waste Management, Inc. through the materials recovery facility that receives source separated waste in your system?

When it comes to importing trash hundreds of miles from Toronto
and somehow calling this "trade" .....   well, "that dog just won't hunt"
no matter how hard you try.   I'm with John Dingell on this issue that
Michigan cannot allow itself to be dumped upon with all of this
imported waste.

Say what you will, but landfills are generally poor neighbors. They stink.
They create traffic problems.... and all of them ultimately leak. We could let
New York, Toronto and New Jersey fill up all of our landfill space, and
then we would have to find new landfill sites.. all at
a higher price...and even if the state increases
its level of recycling. That isn't a very positive reward for recycling, source
separation and materials recovery, is it?

The late Mary Beth Doyle and her Elvis impersonators had it right
on imported trash.....   "return to sender"....especially when
Toronto, New York and New Jersey trash don't meet standards
in Michigan for excluding certain recyclables and toxicants.

PO Box 39,  East Lansing, MI  48826-0039
(517) 332-6971; (517) 332-8987 (fax); ajs@sagady.com