E-M:/ EPA Great Lakes Report

Contact: Tony Kizlauskas, (312) 353-8773

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE             No. 05-OPA077

U.S. AND CANADA RELEASE PLAIN LANGUAGE VERSION OF GREAT LAKES REPORT

CHICAGO (May 26, 2005)?Our Great Lakes, a report released rrecently by
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and Environment Canada, takes a
fresh, more user-friendly look at issues of major concern to Great Lakes
area residents.

The 25-page booklet addresses the state of the Great Lakes, what is
being done to restore and protect them and practical ways in which
everyone can help keep the lakes cleaner and healthier.  It is a
simplified version of the scientific 2003 State of the Great Lakes
report that summarized information presented at the 2002 State of the
Lakes Ecosystem conference.  Our Great Lakes will debut at the
International Association of Great Lakes and St. Lawrence Mayorsâ??
Conference this week in Quebec City, Canada.

â??Some 33 million people live in the Great Lakes basin, the largest
system of fresh, surface water on earth,â?? said Gary Gulezian, Great
Lakes National Program Office director. â??Our quality of life today and
the legacy we pass on to future generations demand that we all do our
part to improve the well-being of this valuable resource.â??

Our Great Lakes focuses on six key questions: Can we drink the water?
Can we swim at the beach? Can we eat the fish? How are the fish doing?
How is the wildlife doing? How are non-native species affecting the
Great Lakes?

This report is available online at www.binational.net or order a print
version by contacting Lawrence Brail at (312) 353-8547 or
brail.lawrence@epa.gov.
Further information about the Great Lakes is available at
www.epa.gov/greatlakes and the State of the Great Lakes report and the
State of the Lakes Ecosystem conference is available at
www.epa.gov/greatlakes/solec

#  #  #
_________________
Pranas Pranckevicius
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
Great Lakes National Program Office
77 West Jackson Blvd.  G-17J
Chicago, IL  60604-3590
pranckevicius.pranas@epa.gov
312 353-3437 Tel
312 353-2018 Fax

PO Box 39,  East Lansing, MI  48826-0039
(517) 332-6971; (517) 332-8987 (fax); ajs@sagady.com