RE: E-M:/ pharmaceuticals in the environment

Enviro-Mich message from "Rita Jack" <rita.jack@sierraclub.org>

And that's exactly the realm where it needs to be addressed - the
legislature.  I was given a prescription 2 years ago that I chose not to
take.  I took the bottle of pills back to the pharmacy, and they told me
that under the law, they're unable to accept back any drugs once they've
been given to the patient.  I was told it is to avoid any possible chance of
mixing up the various pills with others, to avoid giving the wrong
prescription or pills to a patient.  I didn't want to flush the pills to get
rid of them, and I didn't want to throw them into the trash to go into a
landfill.  I finally took them to my physician, who agreed to throw them
into their biologic hazard waste receptacle.  What a convoluted process, to
get rid of them.  Neither the pharmacy nor my doctor's office, by the way,
understood why I didn't want to flush the pills - they hadn't a clue about
the drugs getting into the water supply!

~RJ
Rita Jack
Water Sentinels Project, Sierra Club Mackinac Chapter
tel:  517-484-2372

Make all Michigan's waters fishable and swimmable.