RE: E-M:/ Governor Milliken speaks....

Outstanding comments Anne

Gov Milliken is still today the most outstanding public servant Michigan has ever had - and your observations are right on point - the civility Gov Milliken so gallantly modeled was not partisan

From: owner-enviro-mich@great-lakes.net [mailto:owner-enviro-mich@great-lakes.net] On Behalf Of Anne and Tom Woiwode
Sent: Wednesday, June 15, 2005 11:48 PM
To: enviro-mich@great-lakes.net
Subject: Re: E-M:/ Governor Milliken speaks....

I want to thank Alex for posting Governor Milliken's exceptional speech, but then I have to say that it does a disservice to post the analysis of the Republicans below -- even though I agree with a large amount of what is said in this.

All of us are responsible for the failure of civil discourse, and for the downward spiral that this has caused in our state and in particular metropolitan Detroit. As noted in the comments around Governor Milliken's speech he received a standing ovation, at an event which is touted as the one where all the politicians with statewide aspirations must show up and work to get the approvals and nods and probably the financial backing to run for office. Who was it who was applauding? And who among us is not already pointing the finger at "those people" who are responsible for the decline of bi-partisanship/non-partisanship?

So how do WE take responsibility, each and everyone of us, for rebuilding a civil discourse in our state? Granted, there are easier things to do than this -- including cleaning up Superfund sites or reversing global warming -- however if we conservationists/environmentalists truly believe that we want change to occur in the policies and actions of our society and our government, then we must make sure that we are committed to succeeding in bringing about change, and not simply focused on being right.

Working with the less than perfect tools we have, that were eloquently enumerated by Governor Milliken, how do WE engage in actions that forward the protection of the Great Lakes, that rebuild our cities and protect our farms and forests, that take toxins like lead, mercury and dioxins out of our rivers and bodies, that assure that hope is built into our future so irresistibly that no politician gains strength simply by being a do-nothing nay sayer. How do we make it possible for visionaries to lead us, rather than continue to elect human windsocks responsive solely to the pollsters and PACs?

Bill Milliken still speaks truth to us because his political agenda has been and still is born of his personal beliefs -- all politicians make compromises, since that is the nature of our system, but through our passivity and indulgence we have allowed the political feedback loops to ignore or weed out almost all of those who actually seek to lead as a result of clear vision, as opposed to through knee jerk ideological panderism.

It is easy these days to adopt the traits of the worst of the panderists and their pawns --so lets work to assure that the environmental community no longer succumbs to the virtually irresistible urge to use the appalling tactics of those who model the worst examples of destructive politics. That better world we are working for includes and may even depend on restoration of the respect for our political processes that Governor Milliken calls upon all of us to make happen.

Thank you, Governor Milliken!

AW