E-M:/ DEQ and Dow Chemical

 E-mich,

Have a few requests around the state for the Dow-DEQ public involvement plan so I put this out for anyone else interested.
Below is the introduction to the DEQ and Dow Chemical Public Involvement Process that was produced as a result of last years closed door negotiated Framework.This plan lays out a proposal for how Dow and DEQ will involve the public in the dioxin contamination of the Saginaw Bay Watershed.  If you are interested in reading it in its entirety please go to www.trwnews.net and click on Current News. This is the third plan for public participation since Jan. 2002.

Michelle Hurd Riddick
Lone Tree Council

Department of Environmental Quality

The Dow Chemical Company

Dow Off-Site Corrective Action

Proposed Ongoing Community Involvement Process

June 14, 2005

INTRODUCTION

Communities from Midland to the Saginaw Bay face challenges caused by elevated levels of dioxins and furans in the environment. These challenges will be difficult at times and some will require long-term effort to resolve. The Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) and The Dow Chemical Company (Dow) are committed to efforts that address these challenges in ways that reduce potential exposure, protect public health, and benefit both the environment and the economy. To achieve this goal, the DEQ and Dow must actively and effectively involve the affected communities, including all those interested in the future of the region.

To encourage this necessary involvement, the DEQ and Dow are proposing a variety of ways to relay information and gather input from the affected communities. We hope that these efforts will serve to inform the community, improve decisions, and build trust among all involved parties. Together, we refer to these activities as the "ongoing community involvement process."

Our proposal should be recognized as a first step. It is based on suggestions and comments made during the four convening meetings that were held in March and April 2005. We hope to build upon it from further public comment during a series of town hall meetings to be held during the summer of 2005. We also recognize that, once begun, the process may evolve over time as the DEQ, Dow, and the community learn more about the most effective ways of fostering community involvement.