E-M:/ Bush/Nuclear: Response From Sierra Club To Bush Speech

Enviro-Mich message from "Rita Jack" <rita.jack@sierraclub.org>

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: June 22, 2005

CONTACT: Brian O'Malley, 202-675-6279

      GLOWING ENDORSEMENT OF NUCLEAR POWER IGNORES TRUE COSTS, MISSED
                               OPPORTUNITIES
          Statement of Carl Pope, Executive Director, Sierra Club

"President Bush's appearance today at the Calvert Cliffs nuclear power
plant demonstrates that his administration is more beholden to industry
friends than to the public good.

"The Bush administration and its allies in Congress have painted a glowing
picture of nuclear power to justify billions of dollars in new taxpayer
subsidies for the industry.  In reality, nuclear power poses a major
security risk and produces a radioactive waste, which we have no way to
store safely over the long term.  It also makes absolutely no sense to
waste tax dollars on new power plants when we have not secured or cleaned
up the waste from existing nuclear power plants.

"Not only is nuclear energy dangerous, it is prohibitively expensive.  The
huge safety risks associated with nuclear facilities make them impossible
to insure, which is why the industry wants taxpayers to pay all liability
costs.  And then there is the high cost of decommissioning nuclear power
plants.  Radioactive waste needs to be secured and stored for 10,000 years.
Anyone who thinks nuclear power is a silver bullet is really just passing
the buck to future generations.

"Rather than spending billions of taxpayer dollars to subsidize a very
expensive and unsafe form of energy, America should be investing in
technologies that improve efficiency and tap renewable resources like wind
and solar power.  Every dollar invested in renewables and efficiency makes
American more secure without making our families less safe or saddling
future generations with debt.

"The solutions are there.  What's missing is the leadership."

                                    ###