E-M:/ Michigan's Surgeon General Endorses Project GO-Get Outdoors

Enviro-Mich message from "Richard Morscheck" <morscher@michigan.gov>

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
June 28, 2005

Contacts: Mary Dettloff (DNR) 517-335-3014 or T.J. Bucholz (DCH) 517-241-2112

Michigan's Surgeon General Endorses
Project GO-Get Outdoors

Michigan's Surgeon General Kimberlydawn Wisdom, M.D., today endorsed the Department of Natural Resources' Project GO-Get Outdoors, recognizing how outdoor recreation opportunities promote physical activity and good health.

Dr. Wisdom will visit Tri-Centennial State Park and Harbor at 10 a.m. Saturday, July 23, where a fishing derby, tai chi demonstration and chess/checker tournament are planned. Located in the heart of downtown Detroit, the DNR's newest state park and harbor anchors the Detroit Riverfront Conservancy's ongoing efforts to develop outdoor recreation along the Detroit River.

"I'm honored to be a part of this statewide effort to call attention to outdoor recreation opportunities," Dr. Wisdom said. "Michigan's public lands and plentiful water access provide excellent opportunities for families to get outdoors and enjoy healthy activities together. The result will be healthier families with a deeper appreciation for our natural resources."

GO-Get Outdoors celebrates outdoor recreation and the role it plays with improving the quality of life in Michigan. Whether biking, hiking, trail running, camping, swimming, boating, fishing, hunting or simply exploring nature, park and recreation facilities provide opportunities for every one of all ages and all backgrounds to enjoy the state's diverse natural resources. Participants can improve their health while supporting recreation opportunities.

"We are very happy to have Dr. Wisdom on board to help promote Project GO and to encourage participation at Tri-Centennial State Park," said DNR Director Rebecca Humphries. "Michigan is blessed with incredible natural resources, and we are hoping to encourage more residents and visitors to use and enjoy the sites that showcase them.  Getting outdoors is a natural part of any wellness plan."

The events at Tri-Centennial State Park and Harbor are one of more than 60 events planned at state parks, recreation areas, county parks, boating access sites and harbors. Events kick off at 10 a.m. A complete list of events is available on the DNR Web site.

"We invite everyone in Michigan to GO-Get Outdoors on Saturday, July 23," said Ron Olson, chief of the DNR Parks and Recreation Division. "Our goal is to host the largest outdoor recreation event in North America."

Appointed by Gov. Jennifer Granholm in 2003, Dr. Wisdom serves the nation's first state-level Surgeon General to promote public health and disease prevention through rebuilding the public health system, developing public health policy and building collaborative partnerships.

The DNR is committed to the conservation, protection, management, use and enjoyment of the state's natural resources for current and future generations.

###