E-M:/ More on Annex 2001

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
June 30, 2005

Contact:  Robert McCann
                (517) 241-7397

Annex 2001 Draft Agreements Strengthened, Released for Public Comment

Governor Jennifer M. Granholm today joined seven Great Lakes governors and the premiers of Ontario and Quebec in announcing the beginning of a 60-day public review and comment period for revised draft agreements that strengthen protection of Great Lakes waters.

"The Great Lakes are our most precious natural resource, and it is critical that we act responsibly to protect them," said Governor Granholm.  "I am encouraged that these revised documents reflect a stronger stand against diverting water out of the Great Lakes and places decision-making on in-Basin water use clearly in the hands of the individual states and provinces."

The revised draft Annex 2001 Implementing Agreements are the result of efforts by the Council of Great Lakes Governors' Water Management Working Group to make changes to the draft agreement released in July 2004.  The revisions are based on over 10,000 comments received last year from citizens of the Great Lakes states and provinces.  The revised draft documents do not yet represent consensus on all points or endorsement by any of the states or provinces.

"We are especially interested in comment on the new provisions to prohibit diversion of Great Lakes water and continuing debate on the point at which water in containers should be considered a diversion," said Ken DeBeaussaert, Director of the Michigan Office of the Great Lakes and a Member of the Water Management Working Group.  "I encourage all of our citizens to examine this document and provide comments so we can be sure the final product is reflective of what is best for Michigan."

To facilitate comments, the Office of the Governor and the Office of the Great Lakes will announce a series of public comment opportunities to be held in July and August.  More information on the public comment will be available in the beginning of July.  Once the review period is complete and public comments have been taken into account, the agreements will be refined and presented to the governors and premiers for their evaluation and approval.

Written comments are encouraged at any time during the 60-day public comment period through August 28.  Comments can be sent to the Office of the Great Lakes Website at DEQ-ANNEX-2001@michigan.gov, or mailed to:

Office of the Great Lakes
Constitution Hall - 6th Floor
P.O. Box 30473
525 W. Allegan Street
Lansing, MI  48909-7973

Comments can also be submitted through Council of Great Lakes Governors Website at Annex2001@cglg.org, or mailed to:

David Naftzger, Executive Director
Council of Great Lakes Governors
35 East Wacker Drive, Suite 1850
Chicago, IL  60601

The Office of the Great Lakes has posted information on the draft Annex 2001 Implementing Agreements on their Website located at: www.michigan.gov/deqannex2001process.

#####

"Protecting Michigan's Environment, Ensuring Michigan's Future"

PO Box 39,  East Lansing, MI  48826-0039
(517) 332-6971; (517) 332-8987 (fax); ajs@sagady.com