E-M:/ NRC Approves Disease Control Replacement Tags

Enviro-Mich message from "Richard Morscheck" <morscher@michigan.gov>

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
July 7, 2005

Contact: Mary Dettloff 517-335-3014

NRC Approves Disease Control Replacement Tags

Hunters who kill an elk or white-tailed deer that test positive for bovine tuberculosis (TB) will be offered a replacement kill tag this hunting season following action taken today by the Natural Resources Commission (NRC).

The Commission had issued an interim order for the 2004 hunting season, and today's action makes the issuing of these permits a permanent order for deer and elk that test positive for TB.

 "Hunters are critical partners in our efforts to monitor and contain the spread of wildlife disease," said NRC Chair Keith Charters. "The replacement kill tags will offer hunters who voluntarily bring a suspect carcass to a Department of Natural Resources' check station the chance to take another deer or elk."

Under the order, when a hunter presents a deer or elk carcass that has visible TB lesions to a DNR check station, a replacement kill tag will be issued so the hunter may take another deer or elk in the specific management unit. Bovine TB-positive carcasses will be collected and burned as a human health precaution.

"The ongoing cooperation of hunters is appreciated as we continue to fight TB," said DNR Director Rebecca Humphries. "This new order is a way to encourage hunters to voluntarily submit their deer head for TB testing. Without this, infected carcasses may be left in the field, further jeopardizing our deer herd."

The DNR is committed to the conservation, protection, management, use and enjoyment of the state's natural resources for current and future generations.

###