CORRECTION re E-M:/ Lansing Post-Petroleum Planning Project

Dear EM and others,

I accidentally put the wrong cell phone number at the end of this email.
My correct cell phone number is...

231-670-4817

Thanks.

Chris Bedford

On Jul 10, 2005, at 8:10 AM, Christopher Bedford wrote:

John and EM List,

You are right we need some group action -- especially in lieu of the silence and inaction on the part of government at both the national and state level.
What is needed is for government to adopt the kind of program advocated by the Apollo Alliance (www.apolloalliance.org}. The Apollo Alliance's Ten Point Program to move our economy away from dependence on fossil fuel is well thought out. There was an effort to bring it into the 2004 electoral discussions that met with minor success. I fear the "energy independence" is more a slogan of both parties, rather than a high national priority.

So what do we do?
I think we need to move groups like Democracy for America and MoveOn.org away from their almost exclusively defensive posture towards the current pro Big Oil and Big Coal government in Washington (which includes both parties) to a "vision of what we want for the future." Yes, we need to defend Social Security. And yes, we to have a Supreme Court of moderates/not radical ideologues. But we need to develop a realistic plan of action based on our current situation. We must acknowledge that our nation is virtually bankrupt now and that fiscal reality will drive a lot of public policy.

Why are we bankrupt?

Our current trade accounts are increasingly in the red making us dependent on trading partners like China and Korea willingness to buy our bonds to fund that debt.

The pension crisis -- corporations defaulting on pension fund liabilities -- means the US government's "pension guarantor of last resort" role may end up costing the taxpayers hundreds of billions of dollars. One expert has said this impending financial crisis will make the S&L Scandals of the 1980s look like chump change.

The environment and health crisis -- the long term costs of environmentally unsustainable production on our water, our soil, and our health -- are so huge to be almost unmeasurable. The Great Lakes Initiative put a price tag of $20 billion for clean up. Yet given the bankruptcy of the current Federal Budget, where are we going to get the $16 billion from the feds? Where are states and communities going to get their $4 billion? And $20 billion is most likely a very low cost estimate of the total cost.
And there are many, many other environmental "clean ups" in Michigan that are not budgeted for.

The public budget crisis. Tax cuts at the federal and state levels have pushed funding obligations further and further down the government food chain to individual counties and communities. In Michigan, the gutting of our industrial economy is destroying the economic base on which our tax revenues now depend. The war in Iraq reveals that the World's Superpower is unwilling to include its military hubris costs in the real federal budget of the nation. This Alice-in-Wonderland approach to budgeting is tolerated, even advocated, by the leaders of both parties. Yet, if we, as individuals engaged in such financial delusions, we would be hauled off to bankruptcy court or even jail.

So what can we do?

First, I think we must draft a realistic plan for a transition to a Sustainable Economy in Michigan.
This plan should include energy, food, and water in its basic components. This plan has to acknowledge that a truly sustainable economy is one that works with Nature, not against Nature. This means eschewing brute force ("if brute force isn't working, you are not using enough of it") solutions like genetic engineering of food and subsidized biomass energy production.

Second, I think we need to form a true advocacy coalition for this transition.
I don't mean a monthly meeting of the staffers of non-profits who are already stretched too thin. We have too many paper coalitions of this sort already.
I think this coalition should include alternative, sustainable business people as well as groups affected by the current public funding crisis as well as non-profits concerned about the environment.

One of the first goals might be to make these questions of energy, food, and water sustainability a PRIMARY FOCUS of the 2006 elections in Michigan.
We need to know what all candidates are going to do to address these problems/challenges.

Third, we must take action in our own communities -- working in commerce to build a new, cooperative, sustainable local economy. This means identifying people and businesses who are innovators and supporting them with our consumer dollars and our spiritual muscle.

I believe we are almost out of time.
The furniture industry in West Michigan is poised to move all of its manufacturing off shore.
GM and Ford are in deep crisis because of very short sighted management decisions about sustainability.
And the defense business will be effected by the realities of the world, over which we have virtually no control.

I am interested in helping in this kind of initiative.
But we must be bold and we must be impatient.
If anyone is interested, I produced a film in 2001 entitled, "The Next Industrial Revolution" about the work of Bill McDonough and Michael Braungart. They are working on one approach to building a sustainable industrial economy. You can find information about it at www.thenextindustrialrevolution.org.

My thoughts after two cups of coffee on a Sunday morning.

Chris Bedford
Sweetwater Local Foods Market
#6543 Hancock Road
Montague, MI 49437
231-893-3937 (o)
231-670-4813 (c)
chrisbedford@charter.net

"The Sweetwater Local Foods Market is the first farmers market in Michigan to exclusively sell humanely raised animal products and chemical-free/Certified Organic fruits and vegetables. OPEN every Saturday 8am-1pmthrough October 29th in the parking lot of Russ' Restaurant at M120 and Route 31 in Muskegon."