E-M:/ Project GO - Get Outdoors Events Gearing Up Around the State

Enviro-Mich message from "Richard Morscheck" <morscher@michigan.gov>

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE, 19 July 2005
CONTACT: Colleen Steinman 517-373-0399, Mary Dettloff 517-335-3014

Project GO - Get Outdoors Events Gearing Up Around the State

All Michigan citizens and visitors can participate in what is being billed as the largest outdoor recreation event in the country on Saturday, July 23, as Project GO - Get Outdoors kicks off at 10 a.m. that day.

"Project GO - Get Outdoors will emphasize the importance of outdoor recreation to our state's quality of life," said Department of Natural Resources Director Rebecca Humphries. "Michigan is blessed with amazing natural resources, and Project GO is one way we can showcase them to our citizens and visitors."

Project GO - Get Outdoors will take place in state parks, recreation areas and water access sites around the state. A motor vehicle pass is required for entrance to a state park or recreation area, however, 50 participants at each event will receive "GO Passes," which can be redeemed for a free visit to a state park before Dec. 31, 2005.

All activities start at 10 a.m. unless otherwise noted.

In the U.P., residents can choose from the following activities:
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/GO_UP_Events_130320_7.pdf

For activities in the northern Lower Peninsula, click the link below:
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/GO_NorthernLower_Events_130321_7.pdf

For activities in western Michigan, click the link below:
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/GO_WestMich_Events_130323_7.pdf

For activities in southeast Michigan, click the link below:
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/GO_Southeast_Events_130324_7.pdf

"Project GO-Get Outdoors celebrates outdoor recreation and the role it plays improving the quality of life in Michigan," said DNR Parks and Recreation Division Chief Ron Olson. "Whether biking, hiking, camping, swimming, boating, fishing, hunting or simply exploring nature, park and recreation facilities provide opportunities for people of all ages and all backgrounds to enjoy our state's diverse natural resources. Participants can improve their health and show their support for Michigan's recreation opportunities."

A complete list of statewide Project GO-Get Outdoors events is available at the DNR Web site at www.michigan.gov/dnr.

The DNR is committed to the conservation, protection, management, use and enjoyment of the state's natural resources for current and future generations.

###