E-M:/ "CDC results are in: We're full of contaminants"

Title: "CDC results are in: We're full of contaminants"
We didn't hear much about this report in Michigan, but across the country, the release of the CDC's body burden report, which tests toxic chemicals in a representative sample of Americans, was very big news.  As you might expect, we are all loaded with hazardous industrial chemicals....
To download the report,  http://www.cdc.gov/exposurereport/3rd/pdf/thirdreport.pdf

http://www.insidebayarea.com/oaklandtribune/localnews/ci_2881687

07/22/2005
Oakland Tribune
CDC results are in: We're full of contaminants
Study offers tool to assess threat of synthetic chemicals

By Douglas Fischer, STAFF WRITER

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention released its third assessment of the nation's chemical body burden Thursday, and as expected it shows we're all contaminated with a stew of pesticides, solvents, plastics and metals that we pick up daily from our material world.

The release, called a "watershed event" by various public health officials and scientists, offers regulators and researchers alike a powerful tool to assess the threat posed by environmental contaminants and to guide public health decisions in the future.

"If you compare this to space exploration, we're now putting together the Hubble telescope," said Thomas Burke, chairman of the National Academy of Science's Committee on Human Biomonitoring for Environmental Toxicants.

"We're on the threshold of great progress."

snip

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-na-chemicals22jul22,1,1268539.story

The Los Angeles Times
July 22, 2005

Dozens of Chemicals Found in Most Americans' Bodies
The concentration is especially high in children, a national study says. But experts aren't sure what the health effects are.

By Marla Cone, Times Staff Writer

In the largest study of chemical exposure ever conducted on human beings, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported Thursday that most American children and adults were carrying in their bodies dozens of pesticides and toxic compounds used in consumer products, many of them linked to potential health threats.

The report documented bigger doses in children than in adults of many chemicals, including some pyrethroids, which are in virtually every household pesticide, and phthalates, which are found in nail polish and other beauty products as well as in soft plastics.

The CDC's director, Dr. Julie L. Gerberding, called the national exposure report - the third in an assessment that is released biennially - a breakthrough that would help public health officials home in on the most important compounds to which Americans are routinely exposed.

The latest installment, which looked for 148 toxic compounds in the urine and blood of about 2,400 people age 6 and older in 2000 and 2001, is "the largest and most comprehensive report of its kind ever released anywhere by anyone," Gerberding said. Findings were broken down by age group and race.

At Thursday's news conference, CDC officials emphasized the good news: Steep declines were found in children's exposure to lead and secondhand cigarette smoke.

Lead levels in children have dropped significantly over several years, which Gerberding called an "astonishing public health achievement" attributable largely to its removal from gasoline and paint.

About 1.6% of young children tested from 1999 to 2002 had elevated levels of lead, which could lower their intelligence and damage their brains, compared with 88.2% in the late 1970s and 4.4% in the early 1990s.

But the discovery of more than 100 other substances in humans, particularly children, distressed environmental health experts.

snip
The new data in the 475-page report reveal how "we have fouled our own nest," Paulson said. "We contaminated the environment sufficiently that there are measurable amounts of potentially toxic substances in people - kids and adults."

snip