Re: E-M:/ Sound Science?

Enviro-Mich message from Rick Plecha <rickplecha98@yahoo.com>

"Sound science" as compared to what?  "Unsound
science?" How does the average citizen tell the
difference between science and  "unsound science"?
The same way they they tell the difference between
infomercial medical claims and clincally controlled
studies.  Always ask, "Who stands to gain from this?"
Is it the public?  Is it the environment?  Or is it
the one responsible for causing the problem, crisis,
or the product in the first place.

--- Sadewass@aol.com wrote:

> "Sound Science" is a ridiculous misnomer.  Either it
> is science or it  isn't.
>  Here's some examples of "sound science": Gravity
> works.  When  an apple
> falls and hits you on the head, you know it's true.
> The moon and  satellites
> rotate in orbit.  Look at the moon and you know it's
> true.   Look at the sun
> rising and setting and you know that it's the earth
> that's turning, not the sun.
> You know that it's true.  Tides rise and  fall on
> known cycles.  That's the
> truth.
>
> But is it true that dioxins in the sediments of the
> Tittabawssee do not
> cause environmental or human health problems?  Dow's
> "sound science"  "proves"
> that it does not. It just goes to show that
> scientists can become  the same as
> lawyers - many of us will argue any case and design
> studies to demonstrate
> predetermined proofs, as long as we are paid
> enough.

Regards,

Rick Plecha,MSE

 "To teach is to touch a life forever"