E-M:/ Job Openings at PIRGIM: Great Lakes Advocate & Consumer Advocate

Great Lakes Advocate

Background

The Great Lakes are an unparalleled natural wonder consisting of 20% of the world’s fresh surface water.  They are the lifeblood of our region – economically and environmentally.  Yet, the Great Lakes face great peril.  Powerful industries, runaway development and our ever increasing demand for water continue to pollute the Great Lakes basin and exploit its resources.  To respond to this threat and demand action in the public interest, PIRGIM and the state PIRGs in the Great Lakes region have joined together to form a Great Lakes Program.

The State Public Interest Research Groups (PIRGs) speak for the public interest against the special interests, on issues in the news and below the surface. As public interest watchdog organizations, the State PIRGs uncover dangers to public health and well-being and fight to end them, using the time-tested tools of investigative research, media exposes, grassroots organizing, advocacy, and litigation. They deliver consistent, results-oriented public interest activism to achieve real change that improves the quality of our environment, of our government, and, ultimately, of individual lives. The State PIRGs employ a staff of nearly 500 professional organizers, policy experts, and lobbyists and are active in all 50 states and Washington, DC.

Since 1973, PIRGIM (Public Interest Research Group in Michigan) has been advocating on Michiganders’ behalf for environmental & consumer protection as well as improvements to the democratic process.  We are a statewide, multi-issue public interest advocacy organization.  Our staff work not just to develop solutions to the environmental problems facing Michigan's citizens, but to translate those ideas into concrete results, by organizing citizens into a powerful political force and directly arguing the merits of the issues to decision makers.

Job Description

PIRGIM is looking to hire a Great Lakes Advocate to develop and continue policy campaigns to protect the waters of the Great Lakes in Michigan and around the region.

On a day-to-day basis, the Great Lakes Advocate will do the following:

Advocacy: Bringing problems/solutions to the attention of decision-makers-including legislators, people in the Executive branch, environmental agency staff and local officials.

Campaign Strategy: Create a plan to win on our environmental campaigns; strategize how to gain political support for our agenda through coalition-building, grassroots organizing, media publicity, endorsements and message development.

Media Outreach: Serve as the public spokesperson for our Great Lakes campaigns -through media events, press releases, editorial board meetings and other PR tactics.

Fundraising: Write grant proposals, impress foundations with an environmental mission to support our work, and meet with large donors, all to bring more resources to our efforts to protect the Great Lakes.

Policy Development: Developing new policy areas for us to tackle. Analyzing and creating new issue areas based on current political situations and hot issues that arise in the state or region.

Location

Ann Arbor or Lansing, MI

Qualifications

Candidates must be deeply passionate about protecting the environment and persistent in the face of challenges. We're looking for someone with leadership skills and initiative, and the verbal and written skills necessary to make the case that protecting the Great Lakes must be a top priority. Candidates should have 3 to 8 years of relevant professional experience, post-college, including (but not limited to) work in political, policy, legal, journalistic, or government settings.

Salary & Benefits

Salary for this position is commensurate with relevant professional experience and/or advanced degrees. A competitive benefits package includes health care coverage, educational loan assistance, a retirement plan, and paid vacation and sick days. Opportunities for advancement, travel, and additional training are available.

To Apply
Send a cover letter and resume to:
103 E. Liberty Street, Suite 202
Ann Arbor, MI 48104
E-mail: info@pirgim.org

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PIRGIM Consumer Advocate

Background

The Public Interest Research Group in Michigan (PIRGIM) is a statewide, multi-issue public interest advocacy organization that works on behalf of Michigan’s citizens to uncover and fight threats to the environment, public health, consumer well-being and democratic government. We employ the time-tested tools of investigative research, media attention, grassroots organizing, advocacy and litigation to deliver consistent, results-oriented public interest activism and to achieve concrete and lasting political change on the state level.

PIRGIM is seeking a Consumer Advocate.  The mission of PIRGIM’s Consumer Program is to protect consumers from unsafe products and unfair marketplace practices. The issues we take on range from financial rip-offs, identity theft and other invasions of consumer privacy to unsafe children’s toys and consumer legal rights. We also seek to protect consumers from unfair broadcast and telecommunications practices and to limit the trend toward fewer media choices and consolidated media ownership. Consumers comprise the largest interest group in the economy, affecting and affected by almost every public and private economic decision.  If consumers are offered inferior products, if prices are exorbitant, if drugs are unsafe or worthless, if consumers are unable to make informed choices, then their dollars are wasted, and their health and safety may be threatened.

Job Description

PIRGIM's Consumer Advocate will play the following roles:

  • Political Strategist: Frame the various consumer problems and identify public interest solutions. Develop the strategies and tactics needed to build political support for those solutions and turn practical ideas into the law of the land.
  • Researcher: Investigate and write reports and studies documenting consumer problems and the benefits from implementing solutions to these problems.
  • Legislative Drafter: Craft policy options that turn the solution into law.
  • Advocate: Testify at legislative and administrative hearings and lobby members of the Legislature and the state Administration.
  • Media Liaison: Organize media events, release reports and publicize problems. Write media releases, provide source material to reporters, meet with editorial boards and reporters.
  • Political Organizer: Coordinate meetings and keep in touch with coalition partners, and work with PIRG field staff to generate grassroots support for our agenda.
  • Grantseeking: Solicit grants from private foundations to help build PIRGIM's consumer program.

Location

Ann Arbor or Lansing, MI

Qualifications

Qualified applicants have a strong commitment to public interest issues, excellent verbal, writing and analytical skills, the ability to debate and speak persuasively in a charged atmosphere, and enthusiasm for the work. Candidates for this position should have three to eight years of relevant professional experience, post college. Relevant experience includes (but is not limited to) working in political, policy, legal, journalistic, or government settings. Advanced degrees, including a JD or masters in related fields, may count toward a candidate's professional experience.  If you have less experience than the years listed above, please see www.pirg.org/jobs/recentgrads, or review other positions under www.pirg.org/jobs/experienced.

Salary & Benefits

Salary for this position is commensurate with the amount of relevant professional experience that a candidate has. A competitive benefits package includes health care coverage, educational loan assistance, a retirement plan, paid vacation and sick days, parental leave. Opportunities for advancement, travel, and additional training are available.

To Apply
Send a cover letter and resume to:
PIRGIM
103 E. Liberty Street, Suite 202
Ann Arbor, MI 48104
E-mail: info@pirgim.org

Mike Shriberg, Ph.D.
State Director
PIRGIM (Public Interest Research Group in
Michigan)
103 E. Liberty Street, Suite 202
Ann Arbor, MI 48104
(734) 662-6597