E-M:/ seeking info on Geothermal systems

We need to replace our current furnace system by winter and are looking into the possibility of a Geothermal system.
I am wondering if anyone has one, and if they are as great as they sound.  Any environmental impacts?
How about energy conservation?  Also, I wonder about the amount of water they use and if they create an impact of aquifer levels, et.
Any info or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
~Monica Evans
   Traverse Group of the Sierra Club

'THE PIONEERS OF A WARLESS WORLD ARE THE YOUTH WHO REFUSE MILITARY SERVICE."
 ~Einstein