Re: E-M:/ President Bush's support of ID Cub's final comment:>)

Enviro-Mich message from "Chuck Cubbage" <charles.cubbage@comcast.net>

Hi Rick,
I'm the PKs (preacher's kid) who responded. I like your rendition and agree with it. For me it doesn't create a conflict :>) because I take a different timetable than those who follow a literal translation of the Bible (or as you saw, other versions of creation from non-Christian origins that other EMers supplied).

I do believe in a consistent God; one who can be counted on, whose rules She will not break because Milford football team prayed harder than West Bloomfield's :>). {Regarding the He and She - we try so hard to make God in our own image !!! :>)] Pretty good proof that we only weakly understand the Creator.

The "rules" we have deciphered to date (although updated from when the origins versions were first recorded) whether in physics or biology, plate tectonics, astronomy, or human behavior are imperfectly understood [check out our track record on dingo dogs, rabbits, starlings, African honeybees, Eurasian water milfoil, pesticides (DDT), snakes in Hawaii, - we ain't so smart even today:>)].

As we learn more about how the universe works, we have moved from flat earth to globe, from hexes to quantum physics, Einstein's theories, etc. And even these get tweaked as we learn about Quarks, spin, and even what I consider to be pretty esoteric
stuff regarding how this infernal machine I am using to write this works :>) . These changes ought to alter our previous "belief" of how things work and TO ME, MAKES IT EVEN MORE OBVIOUS THAT HOW THE CREATOR WORKS - A CREATOR OPERATES WITH A SET OF VERY CONSISTENT 'RULES". OUR PRIOR LACK OF UNDERSTANDING DIDN'T KEEP HOMO SAPIENS FROM MAKING "BEST GUESSES" THROUGHOUT TIME.

Hopefully, we find the world (universe) becomes more understandable and predictable. Clearly the way "it" operates is better understood (but still includes a lot of fog!).

As you said,

"They believed, and taught, that the Creator of all things was responsible for all life on earth."

NO PROBLEM, To me, we are getting better at learning how the creator has and is going about it.

The conflict disappears if YOU ARE WILLING TO ACCEPT THAT WE HAVE BETTER UNDERSTANDING TODAY THAN THE ORIGINAL WRITERS. BUT TODAY'S "INTELLIGENT DESIGN" ADVOCATES INSIST WE TAKE THE WRITTEN OR ORAL HISTORIES OUT OF CONTEXT OF THE WORLD IN WHICH THEY WERE WRITTEN.

I suppose, many ID advocates have a difficult time facing the complexity of our universe and rather than accept complexity, they find it easier to deny the creation implications. Some prefer to ignore evolution, gravity, etc., and place Homo sapiens and the earth at the center of the universe! The result is mental isolation and "my God is the real and only God. Sadly, we see the results of that mentality in Afghanistan, Iraq, Sri Lanka, the Kansas Board of Education, and the White House, among other places.

And you wrote: "The catechism teachers believed that this was true for the tiniest one celled organism up to the most complex organism, the human being." SO DO I.! NO PROBLEM ! :>)

Regards Rick and all,
Chuck
Enviro-Mich message from Rick Plecha <rickplecha98@yahoo.com>

I would like to add mine, if I may.

I learned the core of their belief. They believed, and taught, that the
Creator of all things was responsible for all life on earth. The catechism teachers believed that this was true for the tiniest one celled organism up to the most complex organism, the human being. (They also taught me that if I didn't agree with them I was going to hell -strike three)

Now if I teach my students this (now its called ID) in
my science classes, aren't I promoting this one
religion's teaching?
Regards,
Rick Plecha,MSE
"To teach is to touch a life forever"