E-M:/ DNR Announces Forest Management Advisory Committee

Enviro-Mich message from "Richard Morscheck" <morscher@michigan.gov>

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
August 25, 2005

Contact: Mary Dettloff 517-335-3014

DNR Announces Forest Management Advisory Committee

The Department of Natural Resources today announced a 16-member committee to assist the department in balancing the environmental, social and economic issues surrounding forest management. The committee members range from timber producers to university representatives to environmental interests, and it will assist the DNR with management problems, opportunities and challenges related to the state's forests.

"I am very pleased to name this committee of stakeholders who will help us tackle some of the issues related to managing public forestlands and will help assist private forest owners with their concerns," said DNR Director Rebecca Humphries. "Our state forests are used for a variety of purposes, from hunting to hiking to timber harvesting, and we need to make sure we have a balanced approach to management so that all stakeholders are heard and any potential conflicts are resolved."

Sixteen individuals were named to the Forest Management Advisory Committee. They are:

* Steve Arwood of Heart of the Lakes in Lansing
* Joel Blohm of Great Northern Lumber in Lincoln
* Bill Bobier, a former state representative from Hesperia and now owner of Earthscape Resource Management in Lansing.
* Bill Cook of the Michigan State University Extension Service-UP Tree in Escanaba
* Leland Crawford of International Paper in Norway
* Thomas Dunn of the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan in Lansing
* John Fowler of DT Fowler Manufacturing Company in Lapeer
* Dr. Margaret Gale of the Michigan Technological University School of Forest Resources and Environmental Science in Houghton
* Mark Janke of Menasha Packaging Company of Otsego
* Des Jones of the Michigan Tree Farm in Augusta
* Dr. Dan Keathley of the Michigan State University Department of Forestry in East Lansing
* Bill Manson Jr., regional representative of the Michigan Snowmobiling Association in Grand Rapids
* Warren Suchovsky of Suchovsky Logging, LLC of Stephenson
* Sam Washington, executive director of the Michigan United Conservation Clubs in Lansing
* Gordon Wenk, director of the Environmental Stewardship Division at the Michigan Department of Agriculture in Lansing.
* Anne Woiwode, state director of the Mackinac Chapter of the Sierra Club

Leanne Marten, forest supervisor for the Huron-Manistee National Forest, will serve as a U.S. Forest Service advisor to the committee.

"This committee represents the diverse viewpoints that the DNR needs to ensure that our forest management practices are balancing economic opportunities, recreational users and environmental concerns," Humphries said. "This committee will give direct input to the department regarding forest management, and provide expert insight into many of the issues and concerns we have about our state forests."

Humphries said the first meeting of the committee will be announced at a later date.

The DNR is committed to the conservation, protection, management, use and enjoyment of the state's natural resources for current and future generations.

###