E-M:/ Weathering the coming storm + good tea

Enviro-Mich message from Christopher Bedford <chrisbedford@charter.net>

Steve,

I appreciate your serious response to what I believe were slightly amused musings by Bill Tobler and myself.
You are right in your analysis of the reinvention of feudalism ethic of the right wing Republicans. As long as the Lords of the castles are safe and fat, the peasants can take care of themselves except when they are needed for foreign "crusades".

Bush and his administration want to impose their radical agenda on this country, as if it were the 14th Century or the 19th Century.
But it is the 21st Century. And global warming does exist. And disinvestment in community capital like schools and healthcare and levies, investments which define communities and hold them together, has tremendous costs -- some of which we are now discovering.

The Bush gang are fascists -- in the corporate state meaning of the term. In some ways they are more dangerous than the other corporate financed fascist movements of the 20th Century. Bush and his gang are like 13 year old boys playing war games with toy soldier (or video games), oblivious to the human costs of their actions. Cheney is an exception. He is the national CEO designated to deliver the public goods for the global corporations.

What upsets me even more is the lack of understanding and will and courage on the part of Democratic leaders. The Dems have virtually no forward looking platform. They use fear to motivate people just like the Republicans. (They will take away Social Security)
At a time of incredible crisis in virtually any area of public life, we have few leaders in public life who are faced forward and are willing to stand up and answer the question truthfully, "What do we, as individuals, communities, and a society, need to do to ensure the future quality of life for our children?"

The Republican one-note stormtrooper stomp of "Cut Taxes" is not an answer.
Nor is the Democrats "we're-not-really-soft-on-Communism-timidity" an answer especially since Communism has failed and no longer exists as a governing philosophy. This Republican lite approach of the Democratic Leadership Council -- now embodied in Senator Clinton from New York -- just makes me sick.

As Jim Hightower says, "All this talk about a Third Party. Hell. We need a second one."
Where is our moral vision? Where is our political leadership?

Another time in our history when we were confronted by public policy that impoverished our communities, that stole our children to fight in foreign wars, that limited our real political choices -- George III was King of England. One of our responses was to hold a tea party in Boston harbor.

Our failure, today, is a failure of vision.
For example, what if we spent just $500 million a day -- a savings of $1 billion over the Iraq war's daily cost -- to bring clean water and sanitation to every village on the planet. Clean water is a revolutionary idea that would make us the true leader of the world.
And clean water is essential to great tea.

Peace and good food.

Chris Bedford