E-M:/ Tuesday in Ann Arbor - Think Globally, Act Locally: Getting Involved with Your local Sierra Club Group

Enviro-Mich message from Doug Cowherd <dcow2@yahoo.com>

This Tuesday (9/20), the Sierra Club's Huron Valley
Group invites you to Ann Arbor to get to know the wide
range of Sierra Club activities at the national,
state, and local levels.  Our September public program
is titled "Think Globally, Act Locally:  Getting
Involved With Your Local Sierra Club Group."  It's
designed to let you explore the incredible variety of
things you can do with the Sierra Club, with a focus
on local activities, which are 100% organized and led
by volunteers.  These activities include:

  ** A wide range of conservation campaigns aimed at
protecting wildlife, natural areas, open space, and
the quality of our air and water  --  and at ensuring
that our local public officials honor their promises
to do the same.

  ** Our Outings Program, which sponsors hikes, canoe
trips, bike tours, and service projects such as
trail-building and park maintenance in the best
natural spots locally and throughout the state.

  ** The Inner City Outings program, in which local
Sierra Club members organize opportunities for
underprivileged children in the area to explore and
enjoy nature.

  ** Our Political Team, which works to elect
pro-environment candidates to office at the national,
state, and local levels.

Newcomers are welcome to this free, family-friendly
event, which begins at 7:30 pm at the beautiful
Matthaei Botanical Gardens, just east of Ann Arbor
(directions below).

It will be followed by our social hour, where you'll
meet friendly people who share your interest in nature
and can learn about local Sierra Club activities like
hiking, skiing, and our conservation projects.  We'll
also have EarthCash shopping vouchers available for
purchase by cash or check.  EarthCash vouchers let you
help stop sprawl when you buy groceries, books, CDs,
and other items at stores where you already shop -- at
no additional cost to you.  It enabled us to
contribute $43,000 to pass Michigan's boldest
anti-sprawl initiative.  With your help, we can do
even more.

I hope to see you at Tuesday's event.  All are
welcome; no membership is required.  Please feel free
to forward this message to others who might be
interested.

Doug Cowherd
Co-Chair, Sierra Club-Huron Valley Group
_____________________________________

The Sierra Club-Huron Valley Group's monthly public
programs are normally held on the third Tuesday of
each month at the beautiful Matthaei Botanical
Gardens, located at 1800 N. Dixboro Road (between
Geddes and Plymouth Roads, east of US-23), beginning
at 7:30 pm.  Meetings are free and open to the public.
Newcomers are welcome; no membership is required.

Events information:
http://www.michigan.sierraclub.org/huron/

http://mail.yahoo.com