E-M:/ Rebuilding after Katrina

Bruce Katz at Brookings offers data and insight on the extent of poverty in the New Orleans area and regional solutions to rebuild the neighborhoods. These solutions are not specific to the South, we need to look at how they are applicable to urban revitilazation efforts right here in Michigan too.

-----Original Message-----
From: bounce-brookings_metropolitan_policy_program-153728@lyris.brookings.edu [mailto:bounce-brookings_metropolitan_policy_program-153728@lyris.brookings.edu]On Behalf Of brookings_metro_program@www.brookings.edu
Sent: Tuesday, September 20, 2005 4:06 PM
To: Brookings Metropolitan Policy Program Listserv
Subject: Update from Brookings Metro Program

A Weekly Update from
BROOKINGS METROPOLITAN POLICY PROGRAM
www.brookings.edu/metro

Research by Topic | Publications | MetroViews | Books | Works in Progress

September 20, 2005

Research by the Metropolitan Policy Program (Metro) provides valuable context, lessons, and guidance on key questions being grappled with in the wake of Hurricane Katrina's devastation.

Entrenched poverty; masses of people made homeless by disaster; and how to undo the damage of what Metro director Bruce Katz has called "federal enclaves of poverty" are not unique to the area affected by Katrina. Metro research offers solid reference points for addressing such problems.

Soon, a new report from Metro will detail the extent and location of poverty in New Orleans and will outline options available to the city to re-build in ways that do not re-create the locked-in cycles of poverty.

In the meantime, this week's e-newsletter addresses three critical areas:

What was the extent of the poverty in New Orleans? What are the best options for housing the people left homeless by a natural disaster?
  • Post-disaster housing: Decent housing and stability for the suddenly-homeless isn't easy, but it can be done-and we have experience that can be our guide.
How could New Orleans re-build in ways that break the cycle of poverty and provide more access to opportunity to those who return?
Metropolitan Policy Program · The Brookings Institution · 1775 Massachusetts Avenue, NW · Washington, DC 20036 · (202) 797-6139 · www.brookings.edu/metro

To contact the Listserv Administrator: khight@brookings.edu