E-M:/ More on U.S. House trashing of Endangered Species Act

Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 17:18:37 -0400 (EDT)
From: Democratic Leader <leader@democraticleader.ctsg.com>
To: ajs@sagady.com
Subject: Endangered Species Act Update

<http://democraticleader.ctsg.com/ctt.asp?u=2009619&l=106856>
- ALERT -

On Thursday, September 29th, 2005, a bill that would gut essential protections of the Endangered Species Act (H.R. 3824), introduced by Congressman Richard Pombo (R-CA), passed the House of Representatives with a vote of 229-193.
<http://democraticleader.ctsg.com/ctt.asp?u=2009619&l=106847>See the vote here ->>

House Democrats overwhelmingly opposed H.R. 3824 and offered a common sense, bipartisan alternative which failed 206-216.  The alternative offered responsible solutions to the challenges of reconciling conservation and development without dismantling the Endangered Species Act.
<http://democraticleader.ctsg.com/ctt.asp?u=2009619&l=106848>See vote here ->>

See what others had to say about the bi-partisan alternative bill to H.R. 3824:

Defenders of Wildlife and other organizations:
<http://democraticleader.ctsg.com/ctt.asp?u=2009619&l=106849>http://www.saveesa.org/news/092805substituteletter.pdf

Izaak Walton League:
<http://democraticleader.ctsg.com/ctt.asp?u=2009619&l=106850>http://www.iwla.org/pressrel/release.asp?p_releaseid=171

Environmental Defense:
<http://democraticleader.ctsg.com/ctt.asp?u=2009619&l=106851>http://www.environmentaldefense.org/pressrelease.cfm?ContentID=4807

See what House Democrats had to say about the bill H.R. 3824

Leader Pelosi: ?The Endangered Species Act is a safety net for wildlife, fish, and plants that are on the brink of extinction.  When other environmental laws have not provided enough protection, the Endangered Species Act is there to give endangered species one last chance to survive."  <http://democraticleader.ctsg.com/ctt.asp?u=2009619&l=106852>More...

Rep. Miller (D-CA): "Once again, this House, under extreme Republican leadership, rejected a sensible and bipartisan alternative that would have ensured the timely recovery of threatened and endangered species in a way that would have been workable for private landowners. This action will produce harmful consequences for taxpayers and devastating consequences for endangered animals, fish, and plants."  <http://democraticleader.ctsg.com/ctt.asp?u=2009619&l=106853>More...

Rep. Earl Blumenauer (D-OR)  "It?s not about just the species that have been restored, but it?s the protection that has been extended across America to make it possible that we are not losing environmental ground."  <http://democraticleader.ctsg.com/ctt.asp?u=2009619&l=106854>More...

Rep. Nick J. Rahall (D-WV)  "As people of faith, as I am sure we all are, we should acknowledge these words from Ecclesiastes: 'Man?s fate is like that of the animals; the same fate awaits them both: As one dies, so dies the other.  All have the same breath."  <http://democraticleader.ctsg.com/ctt.asp?u=2009619&l=106859>More...

<http://democraticleader.ctsg.com/ctt.asp?u=2009619&l=106855>Read more from House Democrats here >><http://democraticleader.ctsg.com/ctt.asp?u=2009619&l=106855>

Tom Manatos
Office of the Democratic Leader
Advisor to the Leader
202-225-0100
<http://democraticleader.ctsg.com/unsubscribe/index.asp>Unsubscribe

PO Box 39,  East Lansing, MI  48826-0039
(517) 332-6971; (517) 332-8987 (fax); ajs@sagady.com