E-M:/ RE: / Bush Trying to Use Hurricane to Gut Clean Air Act

Enviro-Mich message from "Murtha, Katie" <Katie.Murtha@mail.house.gov>

Statement of Congressman John D. Dingell
Ranking Member
Committee on Energy and Commerce

COMMITTEE ON ENERGY AND COMMERCE MARKUP OF H.R. 3893,
THE "GASOLINE FOR AMERICA'S SECURITY ACT OF 2005"
September 28, 2005

	We meet here today to consider a hastily crafted, minimally reviewed
bill of dubious virtue.  The legislation was not provided to Members until
after close of business on Friday.  While this Committee has always stood
ready to act on emergency legislation on an expedited basis, this
legislation is not emergency legislation.  Refinery siting, for example, is
a long term matter, and it was considered in the recent energy bill.

	To act on this bill at this time has the potential to embarrass the
Committee.  How can we make informed decisions without a single hearing on
the specific measures before us?  How can we understand refining issues when
we have not received a single response to questions we asked of the
Department of Energy and the Environmental Protection Agency?  How do we
know whether the provisions in the energy bill passed less than two months
ago to expedite refinery siting are working?  How do we really know what
these provisions on refinery siting will do?

	The President stated when he signed the energy bill that it was not
going to affect gasoline prices in the short run, and he was correct.  In
fact, prices continued to rise even before Hurricane Katrina.  Clearly, none
of the provisions in H.R. 3893 will bring down prices either.

	There can be only one explanation for this rush to markup and then
to the Floor, and it is the desire of the Republican leadership of the House
to use the hardships and devastation of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita to push
various parts of their agenda.  The Majority Leader, as is his custom, has
tried to blame Democrats for all ills, saying "[t]he Democrats made us drop
many important issues out of the last energy bill that . . . would have
helped this situation that we have found ourselves in now, and it is time to

	But poorly thought out and poorly vetted efforts to pass industrial
and ideological wish lists are not the way to respond to the actual energy
issues raised by Katrina.

	We have unfortunately seen this same trend in other areas, such as
the President's decision to allow companies such as Halliburton to pay
workers wages that are below the prevailing wage.  And, other committees are
reportedly looking to write laws that will waive all manner of environmental
laws with the wave of a Presidential wand.  Lobbyists will have a field day
with these waiver provisions.

	If we decide to act on an expedited basis, we should be focusing the
immediate problems of rising gasoline prices and the anticipated increases
in natural gas and home heating oil prices.  In the Midwest, natural gas
prices have been estimated to increase by 71 percent this winter and that
was before Hurricane Rita.

	My able colleague Bart Stupak has been working on legislation to
deal with price gouging.  His legislation is designed to focus on the
practices of the entire industry and not just the local gas station.  And
when it comes to issues such as refineries, our immediate attention should
be directed towards how best to bring existing facilities back on line, and
the need to create reserve capacity that is not controlled by the newly
prosperous refining industry.  We need to create a Strategic Refinery
Reserve, as a commonsense companion to the successful Strategic Petroleum
Reserve.  My able colleagues Rick Boucher and Ed Markey have been working
with me on legislation that will direct the Secretary of Energy to establish
and operate refineries that will help protect our national security and
consumers from supply disruptions.

	I joined with the Chairman in negotiating and passing the Energy
Policy Act of 2005.  His behavior in those negotiations was remarkably fair
and conciliatory.  This partisan and rushed process is a particular
disappointment to me.  If and when this Committee decides to address these
issues in a serious and sound way, I will be ready to help.  But I cannot
cooperate given an unwise process that can only produce doomed legislation.

	- 30 -

(Contact: Jodi Seth, 202-225-3641)

Katie Murtha
Office of Representative John D. Dingell