E-M:/ Info release: Oct.15: help clean up the Pine River!

Community and Media Information Release

Contact:    Rita Jack      517-484-2372

Join us Saturday October 15 to Clean Up the Pine River!

Volunteers from Saint Louis and Alma, and all over Mid-Michigan, and beyond, will pull on their work gloves and rubber boots, and pick up trash and other refuse from the banks of the Pine River.  Tires will be collected and taken to Giles Tires for disposal.  Alma area businesses and the Saint Louis Department of Public Works have donated use of their dumpsters, and the volunteers will take advantage of the City of Saint Louis Hazardous Waste Disposal Day on Oct. 21, to get rid of hazardous waste.

Saturday morning October 15, volunteers may join us at one of two locations between 8 and 8:30am to register and receive cleanup gear and gloves and a FREE Water Sentinel T-Shirt!  Parents will need to sign waivers for minors, and we need as many adults as possible to oversee youth volunteers.  Volunteers should wear work clothes, appropriate foot gear like rubber boots, and should leave expensive jewelry at home.  You may bring waders if you like, but we’re not asking anyone to wade in deep waters.  We’ll provide soap and water and hand sanitizer to clean up after you’re done.

The two locations are:

1)         Lumberjack Park, located on the Pine River north of Riverdale, 1 mile north of M-46 on Lumberjack Road, approximately 8 miles west of Alma, Michigan.

2)         Penny Park, located on the Pine River in Saint Louis, MI:  M-46 to Main Street in Saint Louis, turn north to go over the Pine River bridge, turn left (west) onto Prospect Street.  Follow Prospect Street 2-3 blocks to Penny Park, located on the Pine River

We will have some canoes available at Lumberjack Park for use on the river between there and Harrison Road.  There are several sites that need cleaning that do not require a canoe.  No one will be asked to wade the river to pick up trash, and no minors will canoe alone.  We will not trespass, but will work in public areas, and will pick up trash from areas to keep it out of the river as well.  If you have your own canoe that you want to use, you are welcome to do so.

Around 12noon, we’ll gather back at Mancino’s Pizza on Superior Street in Alma for pizza and pop and to share awards and prizes!

Come out and join us!!

Let’s tell the USEPA that we’re doing our part, now it’s their turn to do their part:  “Clean up the Velsicol Chemical Superfund Site, For Good, Forever.”

Rita Jack

Water Sentinels Project

Sierra Club Mackinac Chapter

109 E. Grand River Ave.

Lansing, Michigan  48906

tel:  517-484-2372

www.michigan.sierraclub.org

www.sierraclub.org/watersentinels

Make all Michigan's waters fishable and swimmable.