E-M:/ Campus Sustainability Day events - Wednesday, October 26

Enviro-Mich message from "Link, Terry" <link@mail.lib.msu.edu>

10/--/06

Contact: Terry Link, Office of Campus Sustainability
	    (517) 355-1751, link@msu.edu
	    or Tom Oswald, University Relations
	    (517) 355-2281, oswald@msu.edu

Campus transportation study part of MSU Sustainability Day

EAST LANSING, Mich. - When it comes to getting around the sprawling Michigan State University campus, which is more efficient - a hybrid car, a bicycle, or good old fashioned feet?

As part of MSU's celebration of Campus Sustainability Day, a non-scientific study will be conducted on campus Oct. 26 to see which mode of transportation is most functional and energy efficient.

Volunteers will take off from various spots on campus, all with the goal of arriving safely at the Hannah Administration Building, which is located, generally, in the center of the 5,200-acre campus. The idea, said organizer Terry Link, is not speed, but efficiency and practicality. "We're such a car culture, we often get in and drive and don't realize we're not saving anything in terms of time. We want to see just what that looks like on our campus."

The "Multi-modal Campus Transportation Study" will begin at noon at various sites on campus. It is one of a number of MSU events planned for the day, which is part of a national day designed to increase awareness of sustainability and environmental impact on college campuses.

Other events include an information fair at the International Center from noon to 5 p.m.; a hybrid vehicle display outside of the International Center from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.; and a number of environmentally friends tours, including the Baker Woodlot, the Red Cedar River and the MSU Power Plant.

Participants must register in advance for the Power Plant tour by e-mail link@msu.edu.

MSU will also take part in a National Campus Sustainability Day Web cast which will be hosted by National Public Radio science correspondent Joe Palca.

Also, Mike Hamm, the MSU C.S. Mott Chair of Sustainable Agriculture, will speak at 7:30 p.m. in Room 158 Natural Resources Building. His topic is "Educating for a Connected Life: Food and Farming Systems."

For additional information on MSU Sustainability Day events, visit the Web at www.ecofoot.msu.edu

More information is also available at www.scup.org/csd/3/

Terry Link, Director
Office of Campus Sustainability