E-M:/ RE: / The Dumping Game

Perhaps the legislative issue (and the wisdom of the proposed regulations) is a bit complicated by the fact that nearly all of the landfills in Michigan, although they provide an essential service to all, are private businesses.  Having private initiative take the risks in developing and constructing landfills to MDEQ and U.S. EPA standards is a uniquely American solution to solid waste disposal.  This solution provided disposal in accordance with current standards at a time when most cities and counties were unable or unwilling to venture into, or to continue, solid waste disposal.  It is a fact that Michigan moved very rapidly to construct landfills to the present standards within just 2 - 3 years after their promulgation (1993).  It is also true that the private sector purchased many landfills operated by local government and spent money to upgrade the existing units and construct expansions to the new standards.  I think it only fair that we should acknowledge that this solution required very, very little political risk and virtually no money to implement, and so was convenient to cities and counties.

And so our concerns about the sources of solid waste reaching landfills in Michigan will be addressed by many within the framework of established business law.  It seems to me that we are not discussing "Michigan landfills."  Michigan doesn't own any landfills.  We are talking about landfills located in Michigan.  There are, therefore, some limits to regulation due to ownership and jurisdiction, and it should not be implausible that there is a proper and healthy debate about these issues due to quite different perspectives.

From: owner-enviro-mich@great-lakes.net [mailto:owner-enviro-mich@great-lakes.net] On Behalf Of Daniel Farough
Sent: Monday, October 31, 2005 3:31 PM
To: enviro-mich@great-lakes.net
Subject: E-M:/ The Dumping Game

Enviro-Mich,

To Play the GOP Dumping Game please go to: www.Trash-O-Meter.com.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Monday,  Oct. 31, 2005

Contact: Dan Farough

Phone: (517) 373-2093

Halloween Horror: House Dems Unmask GOP Trash Trick

On eve of Nov. 1 deadline, Democrats blast Republican delay tactics as a treat for garbage lobby

            LANSING – Armed with the Trash-O-Meter and a “Canadian” garbage truck, House Democrats today crisscrossed Michigan to unmask the Republicans' trash "plan" for what it is: An elaborate stalling tactic that protects garbage companies while harming Michigan's land, neighborhoods and way of life.

            "Halloween only lasts a day, but the Republicans' trash trick is a horror story with no end in sight for Michigan," said House Democratic Leader Dianne Byrum (D-Onondaga). "Republicans are using stalling tactics that protect the garbage lobby while Canadian and out-of-state trash continues to come into Michigan and harm our quality of life."

            A "Canadian" trash truck and the Trash-O-Meter appeared with the Democrats at stops across Michigan to help expose the Republican ruse. Democrats today also unveiled "The GOP Dumping Game," which highlights Republican excuses for not fighting Canadian and out-of-state garbage. The game is on the trash-measuring Web site, www.trash-o-meter.com.

            After months of intense public pressure and calls for action from House Democrats, Republicans finally announced a so-called "plan" on Canadian trash. But their plan kicks in only if Congress lets Michigan ban foreign trash, something that has never happened. The "plan" also does not fight garbage from other states, like Wisconsin and Ohio. As of today, neither the U.S. House nor Senate has acted.

            Today, House Democrats renewed their challenge to Republicans: If Congress does not approve federal anti-trash legislation by Tuesday, Nov. 1, then Republicans must pass the Democrats' anti-trash bills, which include raising the dumping charge to $7.50 a ton.

            "Republicans are trying to trick Michigan's citizens with this strategy of delay," Byrum said. "We need real action against Canadian and out-of-state trash, not smoke and mirrors. Underneath this costume of 'fighting trash,' Republicans are doing what they've always done: Protect the trash lobby. We won't be fooled. The deadline is here. If the Republicans are serious about fighting trash, they must pass our bills and protect Michigan families from other people's garbage."

            Michigan took in more than 6 million tons of Canadian and out-of-state garbage in 2004, up 17 percent from 2003.

###

Dan Farough
Press Secretary
House Democratic Communications