E-M:/ Michigan Wildlife Action Plan Focus on Species of Greatest Conservation Need

Enviro-Mich message from "Richard Morscheck" <morscher@michigan.gov>

Please note: This release is from the International Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
November 2, 2005

Contact: Mary Dettloff 517-335-3014

NORTON ANNOUNCES 56 STATES AND TERRITORIES HAVE SUBMITTED WILDLIFE ACTION PLANS; BLUEPRINT TO KEEP SPECIES FROM BECOMING ENDANGERED

Michigan Wildlife Action Plan Focus on Species of Greatest Conservation Need

WASHINGTON, DC (November 2, 2005)- Interior Secretary Gale Norton today announced that wildlife agencies from all 50 states and six U.S. territories have submitted Wildlife Action Plans for approval by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, establishing a nationwide blueprint to conserve imperiled species so they don't become threatened or endangered. This announcement includes the Michigan Wildlife Action Plan, which was approved by U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service earlier this fall.

The Wildlife Action Plans are the first of their kind- a thorough state-by-state look at wildlife and the actions needed to ensure their survival. The action plans will also allow states and territories to continue to receive grants under the State Wildlife Grant program created under bipartisan legislation signed by President Bush in 2001. Since then, the Fish and Wildlife Service has provided $400 million in grants to states and territories for conservation efforts.

The law required states and territories to have their individual plans submitted to the Service by October 2005. The Service will distribute $68.5 million in grants next spring for states and territories to implement approved action plans.

"These plans represent a future for conservation in America that is rooted in cooperation and partnership between the federal government and states, tribes, local governments, conservation groups, private landowners and others with a commitment to the health of our land and water, fish and wildlife," Norton said. "Working together, we are tapping into the expertise of those who live and work on the land so that we can conserve our fish and wildlife before they become threatened or endangered."

"Through State Wildlife Grants, we are empowering states, territories, and their many partners to do what the federal government cannot do alone," she said. "The grant program is now our nation's primary conservation program for keeping species healthy and off the list of threatened and endangered species."

The Michigan Wildlife Action Plan focuses on species of greatest conservation need and establishes a coordinated strategy to help all wildlife species. In the past, most of the states and territories have had great success in managing game species. This new program will help fund expansion of their conservation work to include all wildlife species and their habitats.

Norton said she has instructed the Fish and Wildlife Service to work with all Interior land management agencies as well as other federal land management agencies to support the goals and objectives outlined in the wildlife action plans in their agencies' land management strategies and plans.

"This action plan will help prioritize our conservation efforts," said Michigan Department of Natural Resources Director Rebecca Humphries. "It provides a common framework for the department and our partners when addressing the needs of wildlife around the state, and provides a way for us to ensure that our species of greatest conservation need are protected before it becomes too costly to preserve them."

A team of eight U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service biologists and five state wildlife administrators reviewed and approved Michigan's plan earlier this fall.

States may use the funds for either planning or project implementation activities.  For the 50 states, the apportionment is based on a formula that uses each state's land area and population. States may receive no more than 5 percent or less than 1 percent of the total available funds.  The District of Columbia and the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico will receive one-half of 1 percent and Guam, American Samoa, the U.S. Virgin Islands and the Commonwealth of the Northern Marina Islands will receive one-fourth of 1 percent.

Each states' or territories' plan must contain information on low and declining populations of wildlife and the habitats they require, identify problems that affect these populations, identify research and survey efforts to improve their conservation efforts, determine actions and priorities. Once the state plans have been approved agencies will revise and update their plans at least once every 10 years.

###