Re: E-M:/ Harding wants State to sell parks

Enviro-Mich message from "Chuck Cubbage" <charles.cubbage@comcast.net>

Jennifer,

Russ Harding continues to amaze me; although not surprise me. He is very skilled at spin. But in my mind, spin rarely serves ones' client or ones' own interests as well as straight forward honesty. The description of some of the state parks as not unique is like the old argument about wetlands where the spin (sometimes euphemistically called "logic") promotes protecting unique wetlands and not worrying about the "ordinary" ones.

Such spin (either out of ignorance or intentionally - and I leave that choice to you) misses the reality that common everyday wetlands are the ones that provide 99% (well, you select the %) of the protection of our natural resources. If all that was left was the "special" wetland we would be left with an enormous wetland function deficit. And so it is with state parks. If we give up the ordinary, even impoverished state parks, the value to society will be the poorer. With today's gas prices and continued economic bleeding with job losses, pay cuts, bankruptcies, etc., we need the neighborhood parks more than ever.

Regards,
Chuck