E-M:/ More details: Traverse City Record Eagle ran first AG declines to prosecute MSU Trustee for enviro violation

FYI -- TCRE reporters did the reporting on the Don Nugent/Mike Cox story that was run, with additional reporting, by MSU State News this week -- see below

Anne Woiwode, State Director

Sierra Club Mackinac (Michigan) Chapter

From: Bill O'Brien [mailto:bobrien@record-eagle.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 22, 2005 3:12 PM
To: Anne Woiwode
Subject: Re: E-M:/ State News reports AG declines to prosecute MSU Trustee for enviro violation

Anne,

My name is Bill O'Brien and I'm the business editor of the Traverse City Record-Eagle. I wanted to expand on the e-mail you circulated Monday evening. Regarding the "investigative flair" of the State News into MSU trustee Don Nugent's environmental issues at his Graceland Fruit Inc., pleased be advised that this story is a lesser version of a major report on Graceland Fruit that was published in the Nov. 20 edition of the Record-Eagle.

Our reporter Pat Sullivan did a major expose on Graceland's contamination issue, while I did a separate story on the implications of Nugent's tax-free Agricultural renaissance zone he received from the state. It was a major research effort that was weeks in the making that was condensed into a much shorter story that was sent out Sunday on the Associated Press wire. The State News apparently picked up that story and supplemented it with some of their own reporting - but I wanted you to know the true source of the story. You can view it on our web site at www.record-eagle.com

SNIP

Bill O'Brien