Re: E-M:/ Act now to oppose SB 777 seed law

Enviro-Mich message from Cynthia Price <skyprice@gmail.com>

I saw Jerry Van Woerkom (chair of Senate Ag Committee) this evening
and he confirmed what his staff person Jeff Cobb had e-mailed me last
week: this will not be taken up again until after the first of the
year.

Strategically, I don't know which is better: keep up the pressure on
the members of the committee (though not necessarily Liz Brater since
she's come out against already -- unsurprisingly) the entire time
between now and then, or save it up until it comes up again and then
barrage them. I'm inclined toward the first.

And believe me, Chuck, the issue with not being able to control -- or
even label -- non-native invasives locally was brought up to Van
Woerkom at least twice. And would carry weight with him since he's
sponsored legislation (which passed) against non-natives.

People from the Mott Group at MSU (Mike Hamm's group with wonderful
former lobbyist Jean Doss working for them) are monitoring the
situation so I don't think anyone will try to sneak it out of
committee.

Cynthia Price
Greater Grand Rapids Food Systems Council