Re: E-M:/ Great Lakes Shipping and Economics of a Modal Shift

Enviro-Mich message from jmgear <jmgear@acd.net>

Is that a net figure? (i.e., claim is that there is $55M in benefits in excess of costs?)

I don't know anything more about the issue than anyone else, but I would have no problem believing that there are millions of dollars of benefits that flow to some from GL shipping (while possibly much larger costs are spread to the public and, therefore, made invisible).

Mark Coscarelli wrote:

FYI - 2 links.
Snip: *Chicago* - The emerging debate about the future of overseas ships plying the Great Lakes took center stage on the shore of Lake Michigan on Wednesday.

Authors of a controversial study that puts the value of overseas ships operating in the Great Lakes at $55 million a year appeared before an independent panel of transportation experts at the Shedd Aquarium to defend their work.

That $55 million figure is important because many argue that the economic benefits of overseas shipping in the Great Lakes is a pittance compared with the ecological and economic costs wrought by shipborne invasive species.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/state/nov05/374448.asp
http://www.thetimesonline.com/articles/2005/12/01/news/top_news/ff25354d19c75b0c862570ca000fb1ef.txt
Regards,
Mark Coscarelli