E-M:/ Dec.7 Alma College: Agricultural Sustainability: Local & Global Issues

 On Wednesday December 7, 2005, the Public Affairs Program at Alma College

 is hosting a community forum focused on “Agricultural Sustainability:

 Local and Global Issues.”  The forum will be held in the auditorium in the

 Dow Science Building from 7:00 - 9:00 p.m.

 The forum will begin with brief (5 minute) remarks by panelists followed

 by questions and answers from the audience.  The panelists include Scott

 Piggot from the Michigan Farm Bureau, Anne Woiwode of the Michigan

 Chapter of the Sierra Club, and Jim Bingen, Professor of Community, Food

 and Agricultural Systems at Michigan State; Professor Bingen teaches a

 course called Pesticides, People, and Politics.

 The forum is supported by a grant from the People Speak: America’s Role in

 the World, an initiative of the United Nations Foundation and Michigan

 Campus Compact.  It is organized by the students in Public Affairs 150 and

 the First Year Honor’s Seminar.

 The forum is for the wider community in Gratiot and Isabella counties and

 is designed to let us ask questions and receive answers on the long-term

 sustainability of communities such as ours.  We especially hope to get

 answers to questions about how we should adjust our local economy and

 economic practices to global pressures while protecting our environment

 and the rights of workers.

 Edward C. Lorenz

 Reid-Knox Professor of History & Political Science

 Alma College

 614 West Superior St.

 Alma, MI 48801

 (989) 463-7203 [office]