E-M:/ Dec.7 News Adv: UP Residents Rally at Capital: Fix the Sulfide Mining Rules

News Advisory

Contacts:

Cynthia Pryor cell at 906.360.2414

Rita Jack 517-484-2372

For Wednesday December 7, 2005

Event:        U.P. Residents Come to Lansing for Fix the Sulfide Mining Rules Rally and Public Hearing

Who:               Representatives from concerned citizens, business community, environmental groups, and Tribal communities from both Michigan’s Upper Peninsula and Lower Peninsula.

Where:            East Steps of the Capital BuildingLansing
 When:
December 7, 2005    Rally is 12:00 to 1:00 pm

Why:  Upper Peninsula Residents are coming to Lansing to raise awareness about Sulfide Mining in the State of Michigan and to encourage all citizens concerned about Great Lakes water quality to voice their concerns to the MDEQ to create STRONG RULES FOR REGULATING A VERY DIFFERENT TYPE OF MINING IN MICHIGAN.  This type of mining is known to create Acid Mine Drainage which has potential to contaminate water, harm fisheries and have long term detrimental effects on water.  We urge rigorous application of Michigan’s new sulfide mining statute. We remind our legislature and state government how important this issue is to protect our water quality. That is why we are traveling so far to attend this rally.

Excellent Visuals:  Event with Rally, Signs, Banners, Tribal Color Guard, followed by a march to the Lansing Center

Background:  The Michigan Department of Environmental Quality is holding the final public hearing on the Part 632 Proposed Rules to regulate sulfide mining, and other Nonferrous Metallic Mineral Mining in Michigan.  The public hearing will be preceded by a public information meeting where the public can ask questions and receive answers about implications of the proposed nonferrous metallic mineral mining rules.  Final written comments are due Dec. 19.

Public Hearing location: Lansing Center, Room 203, at 333 E. Michigan Avenue, Lansing, MI

When:              Wednesday December 7, 2005

1-3PM - Informational Public Meeting
            3-5PM – final Public Hearing on Part 632 proposed Rules

For more information on the MDEQ’s public comment process, contact Rita Jack at 517-484-2372 or rita.jack@sierraclub.org, or see http://michigan.sierraclub.org/mining.shtml , includes links the MDEQ website.