E-M:/ ALERT: Arctic Drilling Fight Shifts to DEFENSE APPROPS -- NEXT 24 HOURS CRITICAL

ACT NOW:  PLEASE CONTACT SENATORS LEVIN AND STABENOW at 202-224-3121!!

In a last minute effort to pass widely opposed legislation, Senators led by Senator Stevens from Alaska slipped

Arctic National Wildlife Refuge drilling language onto the Defense Appropriations (spending) bill.  This cynical back-door maneuver by pro-drilling politicians is nothing but a desperate attempt to hold the legislative process hostage to their misguided agenda.  It is particularly outrageous given that this is the bill that funds our troops in a time of war.

Obviously, the Defense Appropriations bill is neither the venue in which to decide controversial policy issues, nor the venue to approve a scheme that would forever spoil a national treasure.  This legislation is intended to support our men and woman in uniform and should not be hijacked by those who are pushing drilling in the Arctic Refuge.

Please call your Senators immediately and express your strong opposition and outrage to this scheme to force Arctic Refuge drilling into Defense Appropriations bill.  Urge your Senators to do everything in their power to stop the drilling lobby from hijacking the Defense spending bill.

CALL SENATORS CARL LEVIN AND DEBBIE STABENOW AT 202-224-3121 NOW!!

Just two days ago a major victory was won for our public lands when Congressional leaders agreed to drop a mining provision from the budget reconciliation bill.  The provision would have put millions of acres of public lands up for sale, including parks, wildlife refuges, national monuments, and wilderness areas.  This is a major victory for the conservation legacy of our nation and would not have been possible without your constant voice of opposition.

Anne Woiwode, State Director

Sierra Club Mackinac (Michigan) Chapter

109 E. Grand River Avenue, Lansing, MI 48906

517-484-2372   fax 517-484-3108

Enjoy, Explore and Protect -  www.michigan.sierraclub.org

"We know what to do. We have everything we need save the political will - which is, after all, a renewable resource. This is the time. This our moral moment and [I am confident] we will rise to the occasion." Former Vice President Albert Gore, at the Sierra Club Summit, September 2005