E-M:/ All Hands On Deck for Arctic Refuge...Friday Evening and Saturday

Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 15:45:08 -0500 (EST)
From: "John Adams, NRDC Action Fund" <members@nrdcaction.org>
To: ajs@sagady.com
Subject: All hands on deck for the Arctic Refuge!

Dear NRDC Member,

It's the most outrageous scheme yet to open the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge
to oil drilling. We have just learned that pro-drilling Senators are sneaking
their Arctic drilling measure into the Defense Appropriations bill.

The vote on the Senate floor could come as early as tomorrow!

Call your two Senators right now at the phone numbers below and tell them to
get Arctic drilling out of the Defense bill, with a filibuster if necessary.
Call them even if it's Friday night or Saturday:

Senator Carl Levin: (202) 224-6221

Senator Deborah Stabenow: (202) 224-4822

Here's the good news: thanks to a nationwide outcry from millions of Americans,
including you, House and Senate leaders have given up on including Arctic
drilling in the Budget Reconciliation bill.

But some Senators are so shameless in their quest to boost oil company profits
that they're willing to exploit the Defense Appropriations bill, which is meant
to fund our troops in Iraq and other military needs.

Your Senators will be under enormous political pressure to vote Yes on the
Defense Appropriations bill no matter what's in it. We're counting on a last-
ditch effort by a determined group of senators to filibuster this bill until
Arctic drilling is removed. In that case, the oil industry and their allies
would have to get over 60 votes to keep drilling in -- something they have
never been able to do.

Call your Senators right away and tell them you're outraged that Arctic
drilling would be snuck into a bill that is meant to protect our troops. Urge
them to get Arctic drilling out of the Defense bill, with a filibuster if
necessary. And tell them you will publicly support their No vote if they come
under attack for it in your state.

The next 24 hours are critical. Call your Senators right now!

Sincerely,

John H. Adams
NRDC Action Fund

PO Box 39,  East Lansing, MI  48826-0039
(517) 332-6971; (517) 332-8987 (fax); ajs@sagady.com