E-M:/ lovely idea!

Enviro-Mich message from jmgear <jmgear@acd.net>

CITIES ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

GROUP TURNS PARKING SPACE INTO PARK LAND FOR TWO HOURS

REBAR GROUP - The initial PARK(ing) intervention occurred on November
16, 2005 from noon until 2 p.m., without incident or interference from
any level of institutional authority. Sort of makes you wonder what
else you can do in a parking space . . .

One of the more critical issues facing outdoor urban human habitat is
the increasing paucity of space for humans to rest, relax, or just do
nothing. For example, more than 70% of San Francisco's downtown
outdoor space is dedicated to the private vehicle, while only a
fraction of that space is allocated to the public realm.

Feeding the meter of a parking space enables one to rent precious
downtown real estate, typically on a 1/2 hour to 2 hour basis. What is
the range of possible occupancy activities for this short-term lease?

PARK(ing) was an investigation into reprogramming a typical unit of
private vehicular space by leasing a metered parking spot for public
recreational activity.

We identified a site in an area of downtown San Francisco that is
underserved by public outdoor space and is in an ideal, sunny location
between the hours of noon and 2 p.m. There we installed a small,
temporary public park that provided nature, seating, and shade.

Our goal was to transform a parking spot into a PARK(ing) space,
thereby temporarily expanding the public realm and improving the
quality of urban human habitat, at least until the meter ran out.  By
our calculations, we provided an additional 24,000 square-foot-minutes
of public open space that Wednesday afternoon.

http://www.rebargroup.org/projects/parking/index.html