E-M:/ Explore Evolution - Dynamite UM Series Upcoming

EMers,

Natural Selection is all about the environment so this announcement should be of special interest to EMers.

This coming Winter the U of Michigan (Ann Arbor campus) is sponsoring an unbelievable assortment of top speakers (like Richard Lewontin of Harvard University speaking on Gene, organism and environment, see way below) who will set the record straight. It has probably cost UM tens of thousands of dollars in speakers fees. And yet, All talks are free and open to the public.

For more, read the speakers and dates below, and go to this link:
http://www.lsa.umich.edu/lsatheme/exploreevolution/

See you there!

Winter 2006 LSA Theme Semester:
Explore Evolution
Distinguished Speaker Series

All talks are free and open to the public.  A selected bibliography and brief speaker biographies are available in the Resource section of this web site.

Friday, January 13
The quest for the genes that make us human
Svante Pääbo, Max-Planck Institute of Evolutionary Anthropology, Leipzig, Germany
8 pm, Chemistry 1800
Reception following in Chemistry atrium
One approach to understanding what makes humans unique as a species is to perform structural and functional comparisons between the genomes of humans and our closest evolutionary relatives, the great apes.  Recently, the draft sequence of the chimpanzee genome has opened up new possibilities in this area. I will describe work that compares the DNA sequences and activities of human and chimpanzee genes and discuss evidence that suggests that genes expressed in the brain may have been particularly important during human evolution.

Wednesday, January 25
Intelligent Design and the Creationism/Evolution Controversy
Eugenie Scott, National Center for Science Education
7 pm, Chemistry 1800
Reception following in Chemistry atrium
"Intelligent Design" (ID) is a new form of creationism that emerged after legal decisions in the 1980s hampered the inclusion of "creation science" in the public school curriculum.  ID consists of a scientific/scholarly effort, and a politico-religious movement of "cultural renewal."  In the 20 years since ID appeared, there has been no evidence of it being used to solve problems in biology.  Although the scientific/scholarly part of ID has been a failure, the "cultural renewal" part of ID has been a success, as supporters of ID seek "restoration" of a theistic sensibility in American culture to replace what they consider an overemphasis on secularism.

Wednesday, February 1
Forty years of thinking about the origins of the human lineage
David Pilbeam. Harvard University
7 pm, Chemistry 1800
Reception following in Chemistry atrium
Ideas about when and where the first hominids evolved, why they evolved, and what they and their immediate ape ancestors looked like, changed considerably over the past half-century. In discussing these shifts I will also reflect on what it has been like to participate in this rapidly changing field.

Wednesday, February 8
Primate and human society
Richard Wrangham, Harvard University
7 pm, Chemistry 1800
Reception following in Chemistry atrium
Human society is in some ways ape-like and in other ways unique. Our ape-like features appear explicable by the same rules that govern primate societies. Our unique traits, such as the sexual division of labor, depend on human specializations such as the adoption of cooking.

Tuesday, February 21
(title forthcoming)
Richard Dawkins, Oxford University
7 pm, Rackham Auditorium
Reception following in Rackham Lobby
(description forthcoming)

Wednesday, March 8
The Tree of Life: is it really a web?
W. Ford Doolittle, Dalhousie University
Richard Wrangham, Harvard University
7 pm, Chemistry 1800
Reception following in Chemistry atrium
Darwin claimed that the history of Life can be "represented by a great tree". Many types of evidence, and especially gene sequence data, support this claim as far as complex life forms such as animals and plants are concerned. But for bacteria and archaebacteria, frequent transfer of genes across species lines complicates the picture: the pattern of relationships may be more web-like than tree-like. I will describe the evidence for this, and discuss whether or not it is appropriate to say that, in this context, Darwin was wrong.

Wednesday, March 22
Ageing and evolutionary medicine
Linda Partridge, University College London
7 pm, Chemistry 1800
Reception following in Chemistry atrium
Recent work on the biology of ageing has led to the surprising discovery that mutations in single genes can extend lifespan in laboratory animals. These findings both challenge some of the earlier conclusions of work on the evolution of ageing and hold some promise for understanding human ageing.

Wednesday, April 5
Exploring evolution of Darwin's Finches
Peter and Rosemary Grant, Princeton University
7 pm, Chemistry 1800
Reception following in Chemistry atrium
Fourteen species of Darwin's finches evolved on the Galápagos islands and Cocos island in the last two-three million years. We use the results of long-term field studies of Galápagos populations to help us understand this classical example of adaptive radiation.

Wednesday, April 19
Richard Lewontin, Harvard University
Gene, organism and environment
7 pm, Chemistry 1800
Reception following in Chemistry atrium
Biologists often speak of genes as "determining" organisms and of the evolution of organisms as "adaptation" of organisms to a fixed external environment.  The talk will show how these oversimplifications mask the true relationship among genes, organisms and environments.