E-M:/ Stabenow and the Arctic Wildlife Refuge drilling

FROM MOVEON.ORG....If I were writing an alert like
this I think I would have
used a different subject line than moveon.org's choice....

Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 09:08:59 -0800
From: "Eli Pariser, MoveOn.org Political Action" <moveon-help@list.moveon.org>
To: "Alexander J. Sagady" <ajs@sagady.com>
Subject: Ask Sen. Stabenow to Go All the Way

Sen. Stevens is trying to sneak a provision into the defense spending bill that would open the pristine Arctic Refuge for oil drilling. Sen. Stabenow has fought against drilling in the past, can you call her and ask her to go the extra mile this time?

Senator Debbie Stabenow
Phone: 202-224-4822

<http://political.moveon.org/call?tg=FSMI_2&cp_id=176&id=6568-61997-wuM2wrXcz26TurVVIZnYuA&t=1>I Called Congress

Dear MoveOn member,

We are down to the wire on drilling in the Arctic. After Congress stripped controversial drilling provisions from the budget, pro-drilling advocate Sen. Stevens just couldn't accept defeat. Now, he is trying to sneak drilling into a defense bill. A vote could come in the next 48 hours.

Sen. Stevens is even holding Hurricane Katrina relief hostage to get his way. Stevens was quoted as saying, "The levees will be paid for when we drill in ANWR."1

It's going to be a really close vote and Sen. Stabenow could be critical to stopping drilling provisions in the defense bill. Sen. Stabenow has fought against drilling in the past, can you call her and ask her to go all the way this time?

Senator Debbie Stabenow
Phone: 202-224-4822

Then, please help us keep track by reporting your call here:

<http://political.moveon.org/call?tg=FSMI_2&cp_id=176&id=6568-61997-wuM2wrXcz26TurVVIZnYuA&t=2>http://political.moveon.org/call?tg=FSMI_2&cp_id=176&id=6568-61997-wuM2wrXcz26TurVVIZnYuA&t=2

Even top military leaders are angered by this move. A group of top generals, including former Marine Gen. Anthony Zinni, sent a letter to Sen. Frist criticizing these backdoor tactics.2

Drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge would ruin millions of acres of pristine land and threaten polar bears and other treasured wildlife. It won't solve our energy crisis, or save us money at the pump, but it will line the pockets of big oil companies that are already recording record-high profits.

This is a dirty, last-ditch effort by some Republicans to sneak Arctic drilling through Congress. Republicans are willing to hold funding for our troops hostage so that they can line the pockets of their big oil cronies.

The next 24 hours will be decisive­can you make a quick call now?

Senator Debbie Stabenow
Phone: 202-224-4822

Thanks for all you do,

?Eli, Nita, Rosalyn, Adam and the MoveOn.org Political Action Team
  Tuesday, December 20th, 2005

Sources:

1. "New Twist to Arctic Drilling Deal," San Francisco Chronicle, December 19, 2005
<http://www.moveon.org/r?r=1286>http://www.moveon.org/r?r=1286

2. "Leaders in Congress OK Cuts to Budget," Los Angeles Times, December 19, 2005
<http://www.moveon.org/r?r=1284>http://www.moveon.org/r?r=1284

Support our member-driven organization: MoveOn.org Political Action is entirely funded by our 3.3 million members. We have no corporate contributors, no foundation grants, no money from unions. Our tiny staff ensures that small contributions go a long way. If you'd like to support our work, you can give now at:

<http://www.moveonpac.org/donate/email.html?id=6568-61997-wuM2wrXcz26TurVVIZnYuA&t=3>http://www.moveonpac.org/donate/email.html?id=6568-61997-wuM2wrXcz26TurVVIZnYuA&t=3

PAID FOR BY MOVEON.ORG POLITICAL ACTION, <http://political.moveon.org/?id=6568-61997-wuM2wrXcz26TurVVIZnYuA&t=4>http://political.moveon.org/?id=6568-61997-wuM2wrXcz26TurVVIZnYuA&t=4
Not authorized by any candidate or candidate's committee.

PO Box 39,  East Lansing, MI  48826-0039
(517) 332-6971; (517) 332-8987 (fax); ajs@sagady.com