Re: E-M:/ GVSU study: Ocean freighter ban not too costly

Enviro-Mich message from jmgear <jmgear@acd.net>

Does anyone have a copy of the study or a link to it? I posted a query about it and didn't save the link.

I'm curious as to what the $55M postulates will be the cost of energy in the future. If energy prices go where many people think they will, the cost of alternative methods of shipping may be quite high just for the energy component alone. Perhaps we need to consider alternatives to ending ocean shipping, such as providing connections and tanks so that ships can pump out ballast into a sealed system and then take that same ballast back on board when making the return trip.

HAMILTREEF@aol.com wrote:

GVSU study: Ocean freighter ban not too costly <http://www.mlive.com/news/muchronicle/index.ssf?/base/news-8/1135093523135920.xml&coll=8>

Closing the Great Lakes to ocean freighters would increase the region's shipping costs by $55 million annually, which pales in comparison to the cost of ecological damage caused by exotic species the ships have imported to the lakes, according to a new study.

The controversial study has thrust its author, Grand Valley State University business professor John Taylor, into an emotional debate over the future of international shipping in the Great Lakes.

http://www.mlive.com/news/muchronicle/index.ssf?/base/news-8/1135093523135920.xml&coll=8 <http://www.mlive.com/news/muchronicle/index.ssf?/base/news-8/1135093523135920.xml&coll=8>