RE: E-M:/ GVSU study: Ocean freighter ban not too costly

Enviro-Mich message from "Gannon, John E." <gannonj@windsor.ijc.org>

Here it is.

John
John E. Gannon, PhD
Great Lakes Regional Office
International Joint Commission
100 Ouellette Ave., 8th Flr.                 -or-
Windsor, Ontario N9A 6T3        P.O. Box 32869
Ph. (519) 257-6711                  Detroit, MI 48232
Fx.  (519) 257-6740                  Ph. (313) 226-2170,
gannonj@windsor.ijc.org                          Ext. 6711
www.ijc.org

Grand Valley State University website has posted the full report, fact
sheet and peer report of "Ocean Shipping in the Great Lakes:
Transportation Cost Increases That Would Result from a Cessation of
Ocean Vessel Shipping" by Dr. John C. Taylor and Mr. James L. Roach.
http://www.gvsu.edu/business/index.cfm?id=11971F16-DBAF-2179-96B0680A95C
C6F83

Highlights include:

The cessation of ocean shipping on the Great Lakes would result in a
transportation cost penalty of US$54.9 million per year.
Ocean vessels on the Lakes make only a modest contribution (5.9%) to
total transportation cost savings for users of the Great Lakes - St.
Lawrence System.
Findings are relevant to the growing debate over whether or not ocean
ships in the Lakes provide sufficient benefits to society, given the
much larger costs of ocean borne invasive species.
An expert peer panel reviewed the Taylor and Roach research publicly in
Chicago, IL on November 30th and found the methodology acceptable.
The expert peer panel made suggestions on how to extend and improve the
study, and believed the suggestions would result in a decreased
estimated value of ocean shipping on the Great Lakes -St. Lawrence
System.

For more information contact Dr. John Taylor at (517) 719-0275 or
taylojoh@gvsu.edu