From: owner-enviro-mich@great-lakes.net
[mailto:owner-enviro-mich@great-lakes.net]On Behalf Of jmgear
Sent: Tuesday, December 20, 2005 10:14 PM
To: E-M
Subject: Re: E-M:/ GVSU study: Ocean freighter ban not too costly

Enviro-Mich message from jmgear <jmgear@acd.net>

Does anyone have a copy of the study or a link to it?  I posted a query
about it and didn't save the link.

I'm curious as to what the $55M postulates will be the cost of energy in
the future.  If energy prices go where many people think they will, the
cost of alternative methods of shipping may be quite high just for the
energy component alone.  Perhaps we need to consider alternatives to
ending ocean shipping, such as providing connections and tanks so that
ships can pump out ballast into a sealed system and then take that same
ballast back on board when making the return trip.