E-M:/ Hazardous waste site to open near I-94

Plant gets go-ahead after a 15-year battle

Any day now, tanker trucks will start hauling liquid hazardous waste to a long-fought disposal site in Romulus, where the sludge and other industrial by-products will be pumped 4,500 feet below the earth's surface.

The opening of the state's first deep-injection wells for hazardous waste -- less than 100 feet from I-94 and about a half mile from Metro Airport -- ends a 15-year fight between the company and environmentalists, residents and some lawmakers.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051227/NEWS02/512270363