E-M:/ A critical observation to understand

Enviro-Mich message from jmgear <jmgear@acd.net>

Prof. Albert Bartlett: "Sustainable growth is an oxymoron, because if you just look at the arithmetic of steady growth, the numbers become astronomically large in modest periods of time, so you can't have steady growth."
This is crucial -- people have to begin to understand the connection between the basic requirement of capitalism
(growth, i.e., consumption of every greater resources) and the environmental collapse of the world.

As someone said, "infinite growth is the logic of the cancer cell" (which is the logic that destroys the host).
OK, some say, I don't want infinite growth, I want "sustainable growth" or "smart growth" or some such ...

If we want a sustainable world, we have to figure out how to create steady-state economics.