RE: E-M:/ Serious question re landfills and imported trash

Title: Re: E-M:/ Serious question re landfills and imported trash

It is important to note, however, that while we send hazardous waste to Canada, we do so under the terms of the Bilateral Agreement Between the Government of the United States and the Government of Canada Concerning the Transboundary Movement of Hazardous Waste, signed at Ottawa in 1986.

In other words, both countries have a regulatory mechanism in place to deal with the shipments.  AND, MOST IMPORTANTLY, notice and consent provisions are firmly in place.  In other words, we ask, and Canada always has the right to say no to any shipment or series of shipments for up to a year.

The Bilateral Agreement was amended in 1992 to also govern municipal solid waste.  However, the US has not implemented the notice and consent provisions.  In other words, for 13 years, the US has not done its job on this matter.

The bill (HR 2491) that is pending before the US House (and passed both the Subcommittee and full Committee by unanimous vote - and is being held up by R leadership) would simply require the EPA to implement this part of the Agreement, which both countries signed in 1992.  EPA would have 2 years to finalize regulations, and in the meantime, the state could institute some reasonable constraints.

Katie Murtha