RE: E-M:/ Rx drug disposal & plastics & real solutions

I had a prescription a few years ago that I needed to dispose of, and went through Leanne’s same process.  I asked the drug store first – and they said they’re prohibited by federal law to take back drugs once they go over the counter so that they’re never accidentally mixed back into the “new” stuff on the shelves.  I then asked my doctor’s office, and they were nice enough to take them from me to dispose of with their biological hazard waste – yet I don’t know what then happened, since I don’t know how bio-waste is handled.  I did, in both cases, take the time to educate about why I was asking them about this problem.  It was clear to me that both the pharmacy and my doctor’s office thought I was nuts for worrying about it, or even taking the time to think about it.

It all goes back to the precautionary principle, a way of global thinking that could save billions of consumer dollars and hundreds of thousands of lives and that could hugely improve quality of life and living –  but “we” do not think in terms of preventing medical problems, or in terms of preventing poor health, but instead we spend billions of dollars to patent drugs to “cure” diseases.  One of the many health issues that is linked to exposure to super-strong xenoestrogens is breast cancer – because the stronger xenoestrogens more tightly bond to estrogen receptors in human cells, and then cause havoc by promoting uncontrolled cell growth.  They’re often referred to as “environmental estrogens” but this language deflects the true cause of the problem, and takes attention away from the REAL solution.  They are NOT environmental – they do not exist naturally in our air and water - they’re instead a legacy of all the junk that we manufacture.  The only solution is to find safe ways to make the junk we’re addicted to, and safe materials to make the junk out of.  Not “safer”.  Safe.  Period.  Why do we even consider anything less??

-Rita

Rita Jack

Water Sentinels Project, Sierra Club Mackinac Chapter

tel:  517-484-2372

Make all Michigan's waters fishable and swimmable.