Re: E-M:/ Criticism and replies about the Ann Arbor Greenway proposal

Enviro-Mich message from Eric Sun <esun.mba2001@ivey.ca>

Thanks for explicitly talking about Sierra's position,
Doug.

Significant Greenspace creates untold value across
space and time in an urban setting.

Frederick Law Olmsted, the creator of Central Park in
NYC (Initially called the "Greensward") and countless
other parks, brought nature to the masses of urbanites
that could not afford an expensive trip to the
countryside.

Olmsted also created, I might hasten to add, ECONOMIC
VALUE.  That value, however, is not as concentrated in
time and space; i.e. while a condo on Central Park is
very expensive, the initial builders did not reap all
the profits.  Nor has one entity cornered the market
for all the users in Central park, but have created
diverse employment and entrepreneurial opportunities
on a year round and seasonal basis.

If you have ever seen business men and women enjoying
themselves in Hyde Park in London over lunch on a week
day, the attraction of greenspace for talent is
obvious.

I found National Geographic's March 2005 distillation
of the wonderful effects of park planning an eye
opener.

Eric Sun

http://www.sierraclub.org/sprawl/community/transformations/index.asp