E-M:/ RE: / EPA Strikes Pollution Deal with Factory-Style Animal Farms

FRIENDS:  A year ago Sierra Club released the below press release on the “Backroom Deal” which the Bush EPA has now finalized.  As we seem to spiral downwards at the federal level into a morass of environmental payola, we MUST defend VIGOROUSLY the ability of Michigan and other states to take steps beyond the federal statutes, rules, regs and, indeed, backroom deals.

The states were the original cauldrons in which environmental protections were enacted, and as the Bushies undo the 50+ year infrastructure built to protect human health and the environment, we need to be insistent that Michigan not slide down that slope any farther!  We saw the gutting of the environmental laws, enforcement, and even science during the Engler era -- clearly Johnny boy helped teach W a thing or two about how arrogance about pollution can win the day for their friends the polluters.

We saw the Granholm administration take over a state with drastically reduced expectations and capacity to assure that clean air and water, and healthy land were our birthrights as Americans, and have watched the boa constrictor of structurally preordained downward funding on the already strapped agencies vested with the job of protecting these elements that sustain our life.

On this particular issue, the dreadful and potentially deadly air pollution from animal factories, the state air pollution law was gutted in the 1990s (Engler-ized) with regard to any agricultural pollution, in effect mandating that the hydrogen sulfide, the ammonia, the particulate matter and other noxious pollutants from CAFOs wasn’t pollution unless the Director of the Department of Agriculture said it was, after an agonizing system of trying to see if they met the generally accepted agricultural management practices (GAAMPs) which actually didn’t really address the potentially deadly contaminant put in the air.

So when the DEQ FINALLY at the end of last year cited one of the worst emitters -- a 8,000 head hog operation called State Line Farms in Lenawee County that sits 300 feet from the front door of one of their neighbors -- with a violation of the state’s air pollution act it was cause for rejoicing (see the painful history of this facility at the ECCSCM site, http://www.nocafos.org/violations.htm although the simple enumeration of facts cannot capture the impact of this operation on its neighbors).  Neighbors have sent grateful letters to DEQ for taking action, even though the facility has failed to clean up its act yet -- at the very least, the DEQ’s long overdue steps showed that these neighbors had a right to breathe clean air, even if that right has not yet been fulfilled.  The failure to fix the problems in early January and additional citation reinforce the difficulty getting this operation to treat its neighbors appropriately.

Now, the Bush Administration has enacted an effort to try to assure that no matter how horrific the air pollution is from any of the CAFOs that have signed up for the backroom deal (don’t know how many in Michigan), these taxpayer subsidized stench holes will once again get out from under any responsibility, least to the feds.  I sure hope we do not have any obscene suggestions that Michigan should let this deal prevent our state staff from acting to protect Michigan citizens from these hell-holes.

Anne Woiwode

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
January 21 , 2005

CONTACT:
Orli Cotel 415-977-5627
Ed Hopkins 202-675-7908

Sierra Club Response to EPA’s Backroom Deal with the Meat Industry
Statement by Ed Hopkins, Environmental Quality Director

The following is a statement on the EPA’s signing today of a deal that exempts factory farms from pollution requirements under the Clean Air Act and the Comprehensive Environmental Response Compensation and Liability Act. In addition to the following statement by the Sierra Club, you can find more information on the background of this issue at: http://www.sierraclub.org/pressroom/cafo_papers/

"The deal signed today by the Bush administration lets the meat industry off-the-hook for air pollution and reporting toxic releases from factory farms. Rural families have been suffering from this pollution for years, and now they will have to wait at least until 2011 for relief.

"Instead of forcing polluters to clean up their act, the Bush administration has given them a get-out-of-jail-free card.

"This is an agreement of the polluters, by the polluters, and for the polluters. Last year, leaked documents revealed that this deal was crafted behind closed doors, by industry lobbyists, while the public was left in the dark. The Bush administration repeatedly denied that any such negotiations were taking place, until the EPA’s own documents proved otherwise.

"The largest corporations in the livestock industry are being let off-the-hook in exchange for agreeing to ‘study’ their air pollution and paying small fees. Under this deal, the companies are not actually required to reduce any harmful pollution. It’s nothing more than a slap on the wrist, and does nothing to protect the health of neighbors and their children. Under the Clean Air Act, the EPA already has the ability to require polluting facilities to provide data on their emissions, without exempting the polluters and putting nearby residents at risk.

"This is another example of the Bush administration striking deals behind closed doors. Whether it’s Vice President Cheney’s Secret Energy Task Force, power companies being allowed to draft rules on toxic mercury, or this new deal with the meat industry, it’s clear that this administration is putting polluters before the public."

Anne Woiwode, State Director

Sierra Club Mackinac (Michigan) Chapter