E-M:/ USDA APHIS seeking input on wolf conflicts and depredating wolves in MI

PUBLIC NOTICE we received:

The United States Department of Agriculture, Agriculture, Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service, Wildlife Services (WS), the Department of Interior US Fish and Wildlife Service and the Michigan Department of Natural Resources have developed a draft Environmental Assessment (EA) entitled, ‘Environmental Assessment for the Management of Wolf Conflicts and Depredating Wolves in Michigan.’ The EA analyzes the potential environmental impacts of alternative strategies for the management of wolf predation on domestic animals, and the reduction of potential risks to human health and safety from wolves.  The EA is available for review and comment prior to issuing a decision on the alternative to be selected and its associated environmental impacts.

“Interested parties may obtain the EA by contacting: USDA, AFHIS, Wildlife Services, 2803 Jolly Road, Suite 100, Okemos, MI 48864, (517) 336-1928, FAX (517) 336-1934 and at http://www.fws.gov/midwest/wolf.

Comments must be received in writing by February 21, 2006 to be considered before the final decision is made. Comments on the EA may be sent to the address above or emailed to  PermitR3ES@fws.gov. When faxing a comment, a copy should also be mailed to ensure that a complete version of the text is received.”

Anne Woiwode, State Director

Sierra Club Mackinac (Michigan) Chapter

109 E. Grand River Avenue, Lansing, MI 48906

517-484-2372   fax 517-484-3108

Enjoy, Explore and Protect -  www.michigan.sierraclub.org

"We know what to do. We have everything we need save the political will - which is, after all, a renewable resource. This is the time. This our moral moment and [I am confident] we will rise to the occasion." Former Vice President Albert Gore, at the Sierra Club Summit, September 2005